Menu

Reading WTM (again!) inspired & overwhelmed!

Wee Pip

Just got the latest ed WTM from the library. Before my oldest turned 5, I read WTM & thought this is exactly the kind of education I wanted my kids to have! I was in it to give my kids a superior education & classical seemed to fit the bill. Since beginning to formally hs, I find my ideals & reality completely at odds! I have a dd (now almost 9) that doesn't want to work hard. I don't want to work hard (lol). After 2 hours of school, we're both DONE (I'm drained and she's ready to play!) Now I'm schooling 2 kids, and have a baby. Reading WTM once again, I think this is exactly the way we should home ed, but gosh...I'm already doing such a shoddy job of teaching my kids from our TMs, and finding it hard to do school when the lessons are dependent upon me. I do what we have to do in order to crank out those workbook pages, but I don't spend any time making the kids do math fact practice, write narrations, or memorize historical dates (for example). And if we can get the bare essentials done in 2 hours, I'm happy and completely done for the day. I find homeschooling sooo exhausting emotionally. Of course, it's even worse now that baby is here, and my already low standards have gotten even lower. I would love to give my kids a better education than what they are currently getting, but not sure how when I already feel at my wits end.

It's never too late to pick up the pace. Perhaps you could work for a bit, rest, work a bit, rest.

Ultimately, if twtm is really the type of education you want to provide, you'll just need to buck up and get it done!

I'd love to have 2 hours a day...those days are LONG GONE for me :tongue_smilie:

I encourage you to eat well and work hard. You'll be pleased later with the efforts you put forth now.

Ultimately, if twtm is really the type of education you want to provide, you'll just need to buck up and get it done!

I agree. However, I also think that there are stages in our lives where something's got to give, and there's no shame in using a "ready-made" curriculum for some subjects. I have a baby due in about 10 weeks. I got History Odyssey for DS 13, and he's been enrolled in a co-op Science class for the 1 1/2 years. That was a load off, I can tell you. Those 2 subjects were requiring so much prep from me, I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it up.

I agree. However, I also think that there are stages in our lives where something's got to give, and there's no shame in using a "ready-made" curriculum for some subjects. I have a baby due in about 10 weeks. I got History Odyssey for DS 13, and he's been enrolled in a co-op Science class for the 1 1/2 years. That was a load off, I can tell you. Those 2 subjects were requiring so much prep from me, I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it up.

:iagree: I'm sorry if I came across unkindly. Having all the littles makes for a tired momma....do the best you can, but just make sure you're truly giving your best. No one could ask for more than that.

Kind regards,

Just got the latest ed WTM from the library. Before my oldest turned 5, I read WTM & thought this is exactly the kind of education I wanted my kids to have! I was in it to give my kids a superior education & classical seemed to fit the bill. Since beginning to formally hs, I find my ideals & reality completely at odds! I have a dd (now almost 9) that doesn't want to work hard. I don't want to work hard (lol). After 2 hours of school, we're both DONE (I'm drained and she's ready to play!) Now I'm schooling 2 kids, and have a baby. Reading WTM once again, I think this is exactly the way we should home ed, but gosh...I'm already doing such a shoddy job of teaching my kids from our TMs, and finding it hard to do school when the lessons are dependent upon me. I do what we have to do in order to crank out those workbook pages, but I don't spend any time making the kids do math fact practice, write narrations, or memorize historical dates (for example). And if we can get the bare essentials done in 2 hours, I'm happy and completely done for the day. I find homeschooling sooo exhausting emotionally. Of course, it's even worse now that baby is here, and my already low standards have gotten even lower. I would love to give my kids a better education than what they are currently getting, but not sure how when I already feel at my wits end.

I completely relate to your post, having said that I also realize that home education is a choice. I have made this choice for our family, and it is up to me to carry out that choice. That means I have less choices about what I want to do or feel like doing. It is hard, and draining, and just planning everything has me thinking "How am I going to get it all done?".

I'm all about practical, here's what helps me get through the day.

1. Have a routine everyday. Let your children realize that x, y, and z will happen in a certain order each and every school day. This requires some self-discipline. Schedule if you have to. Give yourself a little flex time to teach with the baby, but a baby can be held, fed, or rocked while you are teaching (trust me, it's the only way it can be done sometimes!)

2. Turn off/down the phone and computer(unless needed for something school related!), interruptions kill me!

3. Consider workboxes. I think the idea is brilliant, whatever way you decide to use it, the concept is wonderful. Get file folders, drawers, boxes whatever and put your material in order.

4. Have a goal/ plan for each day, semester and school year. Write it out. Example: Today we will do math, spelling, grammer, writing, history, narration etc., By Christmas we will have 50 lessons done in book x. By June we will finish this book, or have x much narrations done.

5. Plan it out. I need a piece of paper telling me what to do next because otherwise I would stop when I felt like it. If I know we have to do bible, reading, math, grammer, writing, spelling, history or science(and I know what to do in each area!), then it is more apt to get done. Plus checking it off when it is complete is a huge motivator for me!:D

If you aim at nothing you will hit it every time ~Zig Ziglar

I hope this is an encouragement to you, it helps if I take my own advice sometimes. ;)

P.S. I do need some down time during the day. Snack time in the morning or Quiet/reading time in the early afternoon are two suggestions. Allow some time to recharge your batteries.

I'm sorry if I came across unkindly. Having all the littles makes for a tired momma....do the best you can, but just make sure you're truly giving your best. No one could ask for more than that.

No, no, no! I was totally agreeing with you! I'm the one that came across wrong; I think I was just giving myself permission to take the easier road when life gets a little busier :) The point I was agreeing with is that WTM is a highly effective way of teaching - it's just hard work :rolleyes:

Looking at your signature, I'm guessing your oldest is going into 4th grade? I would say up until now, 2 hours was nearly sufficient, right? Lots of folks here use the grade number as a guide for number of hours schooling each day. Also, your curricula choices look very sound. And you've had a premature baby with needs beyond the norm (getting any sleep yet?) I would congratulate you on a job well done. Then I would say, step back and ask yourself what do you see lacking? Need to work more on written narrations this school year? Then do it - figure out a way to start gradually and work it in. Maybe increase the amount of reading your dd does during "after school" hours - after she's had a break and she is fresh. Just post a list of titles you want her to read from for 30-45 minutes/day (or start with 20 and build up to 30 if you need to). Or if she needs more choice, give her a shelf or basket of books she may choose from.

Just a few ideas - they may not be what you need. Pat yourself on the back for what you're doing well and then assess where you need to start ramping it up. No one I know uses every single suggestion in WTM :)

Thanks all, and thanks Lynn for talking some sense into me:) I woke up this morning thinking about my situation: we kept doing a lightened day of school ever since I got back home from the hospital (while still dealing with high blood pressure & running to the NICU every day). Then, dh has a new job position that has him working 80 hrs/week. I had a preemie that took 2 months of diligence to get breastfeeding. And she's had plenty of dr appts & checkups (lots of driving this summer!) I'm trying to keep the house calm & clean for dh. And no, I don't get much sleep - the baby sleeps on my chest so we can get rest. No wonder I'm a bit overwhelmed! We've done a lightened amt of schooling this summer. All our hs friends keep saying how much they look forward to starting school - but for us, it will just be MORE to ADD ON (AWANA, piano, co-op classes, and of course, starting back on a full load). When I read TWTM about having the kids memorize presidents & the Decl of Independence, I thought I was going to cry! Like every year and like every mom, I'm stepping back & looking at what we do, and feeling ready for a change. And, I see how we aren't hitting goals that I originally wanted in hs'ing.

One success: both girls are reading! My almost 9yo was slow to read, but now she reads like a pro:) I send them to bed with library books and find them reading 1-2 hours later. They wake up early so they can finish their books. They read aloud to me in the car. They love reading. I guess if I only attain 1 goal, reading is the big one, right?

Where we've fallen behind: Writing & Math Facts. Also, I've really slacked off on science & history. The kids have been writing-phobics & WTM has made me think of teaching writing differently. I think learning to write narrations is a major goal for this year. Maybe for math facts, I could print off 100 problems every day and just have them take 5 mins to see how many they can do? Maybe a short practice each day would help. As for sci & history, I may have to put these on hold as far as memorizing goes. Maybe I'll make this more delight driven - get library books for them to read on various topics. Include some of these readings in our narrations. Also use co-op classes to fill in a bit (I think doing science experiments at home just isn't going to happen this year).

I think I see the weak points but I just can't correct every thing at once. Correcting our writing weakness & perhaps math facts is probably more important than memorizing presidents or doing sci experiments. BTW, the almost 9yo won't be finished with her 3rd gr books until winter/spring: I had her repeat 2nd gr last year because of some skills that were lacking.

(hug)

My youngest was born last August, full term, no issues. Still, we limped through last year's homeschooling. It was a lot of "grab your workbook and do page 14". History was only reading SOTW--no extras except maybe looking at the corresponding pages in UILEWH. It was bare bones and I didn't feel good about it. Then my 5 year old was diagnosed with a form of epilepsy and we went even more basic as we tried to figure out how to control his seizures. I went through a lot of guilt because I wasn't homeschooling to the level that I want/expect.

This summer, however, I've spent a lot of time with public schooled children and I'm confident that last year, even as unadorned as it was, was good *enough*. Now, I homeschool my kids because I want something better than good enough, but sometimes good enough is the best I can do.

Now the baby is nearly a year old (in less than a week!) I have more time and energy to devote to plannign curriculum and putting together extras.

The kids weren't harmed. We can pick up and do better now, when we're better equipped to do better. You have a lot on your plate right now. You've been through a lot, surely, and with that comes an adjustment period. Kids at these ages are so resilient and they really do pick up so much without being specifically taught. You have time to fill in the gaps. Right now just might be a good time for you to just be. There's nothing wrong with a curriculum out of the box or workboxes or whatever system (or conglomeration of system) that works for you at this point. It doesn't have to be permanent.

ETA: I just wanted to clarify with my "public schooled/good enough" comment that I didn't mean anything against public schooled kids. I just meant that my kids weren't falling behind their public schooled peers.

Edited by Sasha

I only have one to school, but I also work 2 part time jobs, so my day is a bit hectic as well. I found it helpful this year to break each curriculum down into weekly goals to get it all done by the end of the year (hubby's suggestion ;)). Then I put it all together into a master list for each week, so both I and ds can refer to it. So far (we're only in week 2) it has worked well. We finished early last week and are on track to do the same this week. It is a good motivator to get things done when you see how close you are (or how far) to your goal!

One success: both girls are reading! They love reading. I guess if I only attain 1 goal, reading is the big one, right?

Where we've fallen behind: Writing & Math Facts.

WTM has made me think of teaching writing differently. I think learning to write narrations is a major goal for this year.

I love using TWTM, and every year I figure out just a bit more how to tweak things for us, and esp. to make it not last all day long. I've also gone from doing the full-on 2-3 hours per week for history and science each, to relegating a lot of the reading to my kids on their reading time and incorporating the writing aspect to our daily writing lesson time. I try to do a science experiment a week with them, but I don't think I spend two hours each week. They do the other things on their own (like any drawing or labeling). My goal is to teach them the skills they need (reading, spelling, writing, grammar, math, and I want mine to learn Latin), and leave lots of time for reading on their own and then life. So I work to figure out how to do this efficiently so it doesn't take all day.

Anyway, YES! You've done a good thing - reading is a huge hurdle and a huge open door!

And WWE would help you efficiently implement WTM-style writing - have you had a look at it?

Sounds like you are going to find a good rhythm for your family.