Menu

End of life arrangements

This is something that has been on my mind a lot lately because we don't have a will and I know we need one. We're only in our early-40's but we've got kids and need a plan. The problem is.... how do we start? We've looked at the Family Lawyer CD-Rom and got hopeslessly confused. We've considered Legal Zoom, but... is that a good thing? We don't have a regular family lawyer, so how does one pick one? We've asked friends and family for recommendations regarding lawyers and no one seems to have any clue. How much could a person expect a lawyer to charge? What is reasonable?

We don't have a regular family lawyer, so how does one pick one? We've asked friends and family for recommendations regarding lawyers and no one seems to have any clue. How much could a person expect a lawyer to charge? What is reasonable?

Maybe one of the lawyers on this board will see your post and have some advice. (I actually thought this post might have something to do with the issue of end of life health care decisions in the health care reform debate.)

To find a lawyer you could contact your local county bar association and see if they have a lawyer referral service. Then you could talk to lawyers in your area and find out what their hourly rate is or if they charge a flat fee (probably depending on the complexity of your situation).