Menu

Ideas for fidgety child during reading?

amtmcm

Today was my DD4th first day to homeschool. She did great! We covered all subjects right off the bat and she was a real trooper. We were finished by 1 and got to go swimming.

She is a very reluctant reader and I had some apprehensions about how she would do with our read alouds. She loves Holling's Seabird. The CLE reader (not doing the Lightunits) was received with a lukewarm response. Overall she did well, but she was very fidgety which I expected. I let her play with the bobble on the light switch and hang upside down in her chair while she listened. She colored some, and that worked well, but we're not always sitting at a table.

I'm going to buy her a stressball, and maybe some legos. I don't want to get one of those big balls for her to sit on. My Mom has one and DD loves it, but she also torments her sister & the dog with it and comes up with too many daring tricks which make me nervous.

Do you have any other suggestions for quiet things she can do with her hands while we're reading?

Thanks!

Can she learn to knit or crochet? When I knit I can comprehend what's being said or read so much better! Or maybe sewing on buttons or some kind of stitch work? Oh, my dd had those beads that you put on little peg boards to makes shapes (I forget what they're called), but that might be something she could do, then once the reading is over you can go iron the shape!

I think you did very well to let her hang from her chair and color, etc.! My middle one was fidgety, and learned better while moving or saying things out loud. He also hung off couches and chairs. :D I let him do small amounts of Legos while I read. I'd ask a question now and then about what I had been reading, and he could tell me the answer, so I figured I'd continue to let him do those things!

Oh, my dd had those beads that you put on little peg boards to makes shapes (I forget what they're called), but that might be something she could do, then once the reading is over you can go iron the shape!

At first I was thinking LightBrite! but then I read the rest of the sentence...don't know what they're called but I used to LOVE doing those! Anyway, LightBrite is an idea;)

Do you have any other suggestions for quiet things she can do with her hands while we're reading?

Color Shifting Illusions Thinking Putty from Timberdoodle.

Description from the website: These putties look their best in direct sunlight, but even under office lights, the endless color play keeps your eyes captivated and your hands engrossed. Oil Slick changes colors from purple through pink, gold, and yellow, to emerald green. Scarab shimmers with soothing blue, cerulean highlights, and royal purple. Lava swirls deep clay reds and orange with a yellow to green sheen. Each is absolutely gorgeous.

284-Shift-2T.jpg

Looks like the clay-colored one is no longer available, but they also have heat sensitive and glow in the dark.

Edited by gardening momma