Menu

Objects of Prepositions and Predicate Pronouns

I don't remember ever learning these things! We are in R&S 4 and while my son is catching on okay, it is the first thing he has EVER struggled with in R&S. I have a really bad head cold and am not sure if I get it or not.:tongue_smilie: Is this one of those extra things that I can glaze over and be happy for whatever knowledge is gained, or is this important stuff? :confused:

I'm sorry you are feeling bad. I'm in the camp of believers that you can't glaze over these subjects, it is important stuff :D I know I sometimes sound like a broken record about Easy Grammar, but I feel Easy Grammar does a wonderful job of explaining the object of the preposition so easily that it is painless to learn :)

I don't remember ever learning these things! We are in R&S 4 and while my son is catching on okay, it is the first thing he has EVER struggled with in R&S. I have a really bad head cold and am not sure if I get it or not.:tongue_smilie: Is this one of those extra things that I can glaze over and be happy for whatever knowledge is gained, or is this important stuff? :confused:

I am unfamiliar with the term predicate pronoun (different programs use different terminology), but I am assuming that it refers to pronouns used in the objective case.

Can objects of prepositions and correct forms of pronouns be glazed over? No. It is easy to spot improper use of pronouns if you understand objective vs. subjective case.

Subjective case pronouns are I, we, she, he, they, etc, whereas objective case pronouns are me, us, her, him, them, etc. It is important for proper speech and proper writing to know which pronoun is used in each case.

Perhaps reading different sources would help clarify the definitions/uses in your mind. I skimmed this link and it seems fairly thorough:

http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/durrus/153/gramch18.html

http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/durrus/153/gramch26.html

...using a 'baby name' for something that they will define better in another text.

Predicate pronouns and predicate nouns both do the same thing--they are nouns in the predicate that follow a linking verb and rename the subject noun or pronoun. In RS5, IIRC, they use the proper term for BOTH of these together, which is predicate nominative. It is important to get this straight from a usage standpoint, because a predicate nominative must be in the subject case rather than the object case. So, for instance, in the sentence, "It is I," the subject is It, and the predicate nominative is I. 'Me' as the predicate nominative would be incorrect. So that's why you have to know this -- so that you can use the correct pronouns, especially in written work and also in some foreign languages, including German.

I wish that RS just went ahead and called these predicate nominatives from the beginning, so that is what I taught my DD to do. It's much easier that way.