Menu

Rving in the Bay area?

Napa winery section is beautiful

San Francisco is one of the prettiest cities I've ever see. I'd suggest a rental car to get around and suggest ...... the crooked street - what's it called? Golden Gate Park - pretty drive. Japanese Botanical Gardens. My favorite restaurant was The Cliff House. It's pricey but I loved watching the seals out on the rock cliffs but they're not there all the time. You can view seals at Pier 39.

Sausalito I love, quaint shops. VERY expensive, good food.

I'd say that the Sequoia National Forest (the redwoods, can't remember the name! I live there most of my life as a kid but moved 26 years ago!) Redwood National Forest is a must see. GORGOUS. You can hike enough to see the oceanside if it's not too foggy.

I love to take the right before the Golden Gate to get pictures of the family in front of the bridge with San Francisco in the background.

We did Sausalito, the redwoods and picture taking in one day, San Francisco will take one very planned, or two, days. I'd say don't miss Napa, especially if you like wine.

Oh, I'm sorry - Monterey and......... I'm forgetting the town by it, but they're STUNNING.

Seriously, with only 3 days you need to do your research and pick and choose. Too much to see.

It's SUCH a lovely place to visit.

Edited by Denisemomof4

Napa winery section is beautiful

San Francisco is one of the prettiest cities I've ever see. I'd suggest a rental car to get around and suggest ...... the crooked street - what's it called? Golden Gate Park - pretty drive. Japanese Botanical Gardens. My favorite restaurant was The Cliff House. It's pricey but I loved watching the seals out on the rock cliffs but they're not there all the time. You can view seals at Pier 39.

The crooked street is Lombard--it's just one little section. Definitely ride the cable cars, and take the one that stops at the beginning of the crooked section and take some pictures. BTW, the Cable Car Museum is a great attraction.

The Japanese Tea Garden is in Golden Gate Park, right near the DeYoung Museum, and it's quite old and classic. If you have studied Japan at all, you will love it. I would highly recommend getting tickets in advance online and viewing the King Tut exhibit currently at the De Young. It's a must see! The new Academy of Sciences is directly across the concourse from there, and it's quite innovative, with a living roog and a 4 story rain forest in the building. I don't like it as much as the Exploratorium, however, which is in the old Palace of Fine Arts near the SF approach to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Sausalito I love, quaint shops. VERY expensive, good food.

I'd say that the Sequoia National Forest (the redwoods, can't remember the name! I live there most of my life as a kid but moved 26 years ago!) Redwood National Forest is a must see. GORGOUS. You can hike enough to see the oceanside if it's not too foggy.

This is great, but quite a long way from San Francisco. If you want to see great redwoods, though not quite as great as Sequoia or Eureka, go to Muir Woods right across the Golden Gate Bridge from SF.

I love to take the right before the Golden Gate to get pictures of the family in front of the bridge with San Francisco in the background.

We did Sausalito, the redwoods and picture taking in one day, San Francisco will take one very planned, or two, days. I'd say don't miss Napa, especially if you like wine.

Oh, I'm sorry - Monterey and......... I'm forgetting the town by it, but they're STUNNING.

Carmel, maybe? Very nice, about 100 miles south of SF.

Seriously, with only 3 days you need to do your research and pick and choose. Too much to see.

It's SUCH a lovely place to visit.

When I take people around SF, we always go to Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf for the best seafood in town--it's where the locals have always gone. It's a bit hard to find as it is up an alley from the rest of the Fisherman's

Wharf restaurents, but it's just great.

I like to sloooowly take them down the STEEPEST street in the world, as a nice complement to the crookedest one. That is 22nd street (not avenue) between Sanchez and Church streets. It's one way downhill, for reasons that are obvious once you see how steep it is.

The Chevron headquarters are in downtown SF, and they have a pretty cool display about petroleum productions and uses. Very accessible to kids. I think that that is at the building at 555 Market Street.

The other kind of obscure thing I often do with tourists is take them through some of the hotel lobbies from the old, venerable hotels in town. They are so fancy and relaxing--the Mark Hopkins, the Fairmont, the Sheraton Palace.

If you're studying Earth Science or Geology right now, there is a 1 mile nature walk about 25 miles south of SF called the Los Trancos Earthquake Walk that points out a lot of different kinds of tectonic plate-related features in a short loop. Or you can go up to Point Reyes National Seashore, see the lighthouse, tour the CA Native American sites, and go on their earthquake walk which is far more human-oriented--there is a fence that was displaced about 22 feet by the Great Earthquake of 1906.

When I take people around SF, we always go to Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf for the best seafood in town--it's where the locals have always gone. It's a bit hard to find as it is up an alley from the rest of the Fisherman's

Wharf restaurents, but it's just great.

I like to sloooowly take them down the STEEPEST street in the world, as a nice complement to the crookedest one. That is 22nd street (not avenue) between Sanchez and Church streets. It's one way downhill, for reasons that are obvious once you see how steep it is.

The Chevron headquarters are in downtown SF, and they have a pretty cool display about petroleum productions and uses. Very accessible to kids. I think that that is at the building at 555 Market Street.

The other kind of obscure thing I often do with tourists is take them through some of the hotel lobbies from the old, venerable hotels in town. They are so fancy and relaxing--the Mark Hopkins, the Fairmont, the Sheraton Palace.

If you're studying Earth Science or Geology right now, there is a 1 mile nature walk about 25 miles south of SF called the Los Trancos Earthquake Walk that points out a lot of different kinds of tectonic plate-related features in a short loop. Or you can go up to Point Reyes National Seashore, see the lighthouse, tour the CA Native American sites, and go on their earthquake walk which is far more human-oriented--there is a fence that was displaced about 22 feet by the Great Earthquake of 1906.

Since you are a native, where can we park motorhome w/hookups, state park or county parks. Something easy to get to, we have a big rig.

We are starting off in Oakland one nite and than an easy place to get to for second nite Rv stay. Oh yeah, any great tour companies?

Since you are a native, where can we park motorhome w/hookups, state park or county parks. Something easy to get to, we have a big rig.

We are starting off in Oakland one nite and than an easy place to get to for second nite Rv stay. Oh yeah, any great tour companies?

I don't RV, and I have never paid attention to where to take them, so I have no idea.

Please be very careful where you stay in Oakland. Parts of it are quite dangerous and other parts are very nice. Fairyland is my favorite theme park for young children in the whole wide world, and it is right on Lake Merritt in Oakland. If your children through about age 7 like old timey children's lit (Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Beatrix Potter), then it would be on my must see list.

I don't know about tour companies either--but taking the standard tour boat from Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco to Alcatraz, and doing the headset tour would be a great little sidetrip. Buy your tickets early in the day.

You may want to try the Pacific Skies Estates in Pacifica. They are right on the ocean. They have little land so don't expect a lot of amenities. They are about 15 minutes from downtown San Francisco though. They are located at

1300 Palmetto Ave, Pacifica, CA 94044. Their phone number is (650) 355-4001. I live nearby and pass the park daily. We go in every once in a while to view all of the different license plates. I second all of the above suggestions.

You may want to try the Pacific Skies Estates in Pacifica. They are right on the ocean. They have little land so don't expect a lot of amenities. They are about 15 minutes from downtown San Francisco though. They are located at

1300 Palmetto Ave, Pacifica, CA 94044. Their phone number is (650) 355-4001. I live nearby and pass the park daily. We go in every once in a while to view all of the different license plates. I second all of the above suggestions.

Is this a hard locale to get to w/an Rv. I hear its a bear, trying to get around in an RV in SF.