Menu

I think I just ate old lunch meat. Freaked!

I think I just ate a sandwich with old lunch meat on it. I must have forgotten to throw out the old lunch meat when I opened the new one. It had probably been opened for about 10 days...maybe 12. Do you think I'll get sick? Now I'm really freaked out. It didnt even smell funky and there was nothing growing on it. I went back and smelled it and it really didnt have much of a smell at all. The new meat smelled like meat should.

I think I just ate a sandwich with old lunch meat on it. I must have forgotten to throw out the old lunch meat when I opened the new one. It had probably been opened for about 10 days...maybe 12. Do you think I'll get sick? Now I'm really freaked out. It didnt even smell funky and there was nothing growing on it. I went back and smelled it and it really didnt have much of a smell at all. The new meat smelled like meat should.

There are a lot of preservatives in lunch meat, you should be OK!

While I wouldn't do it on purpose, deli meat has so many preservatives, you will probably be fine. Especially if you don't think it smelled bad. Whole chunks of deli meat stay good for a long time, its shelf life decreases when it is sliced and exposed to air and other contaminates. If it was kept refrigerated, handled appropriately, and not cross contaminated, it could easily still have been fine...not great or wonderful, but not full of nasty bacteria.

I hope your okay :0)