Menu

R & S English questions

Danestress

I'm not sure if I should place my rising 6th grade boys in R & S 5 or 6. They have not done a lot of formal grammar, except that they have finished the first year of Henle Latin, so of course they are strong on parts of speech, and they are pretty clear on rules of capitalization and punctuation.

They have not worked through any formal writing program, so that might be the factor that would help decide, though they are good and willing informal writers and both are naturally verbal.

Also, do you need the teacher's manual?

I'm not sure if I should place my rising 6th grade boys in R & S 5 or 6. They have not done a lot of formal grammar, except that they have finished the first year of Henle Latin, so of course they are strong on parts of speech, and they are pretty clear on rules of capitalization and punctuation.

They have not worked through any formal writing program, so that might be the factor that would help decide, though they are good and willing informal writers and both are naturally verbal.

I placed my rising 6th grade son in the 4th grade. When I looked at samples here...http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Building_Christian_English_Series/ 6th grade looked too difficult, while 5th grade looked doable. I placed him in 4th to be certain. The teacher's manual includes all answers to the tests, worksheets, and textbook, as well as an oral review with each lesson. I wouldn't care to attempt Rod and Staff without the TM. :001_smile:

We are using R&S 5 for my rising 6th grader who had very little (if any) formal grammar in ps. We've only completed a few lessons so I couldn't tell you for sure if its the right level. I also purchased level 4 since I have youngers who will eventually use it anyway. Plus I found both used at very, very good prices. If 5 proves to be too much for him or if he needs some reinforcement in certain areas, we'll jump down to 4.

We skip around quite a bit. My rising 5th grader is doing level 3 (skipping lots of easy lessons) and then will use the 5th level after that. My rising 6th grader is using level 5 and is having no trouble up to this point, but he had done Shurley in the past.

So much of each book is review that skipping levels has not been hard for us. I prefer to work under my kids' level and move faster than get bogged down in unknown material.

They can probably do the 6th grade text. And yes, you'll want the teacher manual.

I would consider getting the Remedial english worksheets for Grades 3-5 first OR do a quick run through 4-- then move on to 5 with a goal of completing level 6 by the end of 8th grade...R&S is so solid and advanced, there is no need to rush through. You WILL be well versed in grammar and usage at the end of R&S 6 even in 8th grade.

Grade 4 will cover all the diagramming to get going in that-- it begins in level 3 so starting in 4 is a good place. If level 4 is easy enough, you could do it in a semester (or less) and get a good grasp so the upper levels won't be as difficult. Preparation that leads to success and still keep the challenge-- without the overwhelming jump into the advanced levels of R&S without a good foundation. Sometimes that means starting at a lower level and just moving more quickly-- not just trekking through a difficult level just b/c they "can do it"...you want them to understand and learn it!

That's just my 2 cents:001_smile: