Menu

water parks with several children without dh

It isn't a typical water park but a lake with slides and diving boards, ropes, etc. Due to my dh's work schedule he can't go, would you take your children (9, 7 and 3) to a water park without another adult?

My children are okay swimmers, except my 3 year old who I'll have to supervise closely. My concern is that for my older kids to have fun they'll want to be over in the bigger kids area while I am with 3 year old in the baby section and this is not a place we've been to before. I don't really have anyone else who can go with me.

I only have 3 Fridays and Saturdays to go as my job starts again on the 2th and this keeps being rescheduled and I'm afraid of running out of summer.

WWYD

For me, it would depend on several factors. Can you rely on the older kids to stick together and check in regularly? How big is the water park - in other words, how hard would it be to track them down? How deep is the lake? Are there lifeguards on duty at every station?

I did let my kids, almost 9 and 11, go off together or with friends at a water park this year, but it's a small park and there were multiple moms there that my kids know. I'd be much more reluctant to do that at a larger park, or if I didn't have any backup.

The lake aspect, hmmm. In a typical water park, the slides end in a small pool of water that the kids can easily stand in. I would not want my kids sliding or jumping into water over their heads or nearly so, even with lifeguards on duty.

Can you maybe hire a high school aged kid to go with you?

I take my kids to Great Wolf Lodge but I insist that they do everything together and check in with me regularly. It is a contained area (one exit) so I feel a little bit safer.

I think I would be too nervous to have my kids off by themselves at an outside water park.

Probably.

But...

How "OK" are your 7 and 9 year olds? If "OK" is about Red Cross Level 4 or below, I wouldn't let them go in the big kids side by themselves. I would take 3 year old in my arms and go with them for awhile, then make them play in the baby side for awhile, taking turns. If 7 and 9 year old aren't agreeable with that, we wouldn't go.

If the park won't let you carry the 3 year old in the big side, or let the 7 and 9 ear old play in the baby side, I wouldn't go.

Edited by In The Great White North