Menu

How important are timelines for a 6 yo/SOTW1?

Mommy22alyns

I have some of the colorful, inexpensive one-row timelines for civilizations of the ancient world. I printed out sheets for the CM "Book of Centuries" but we never use them (with icons from the Hannah's Yahoo Group).

So how important are timelines for this age and stage, first time through the history rotation? We're on Rome with HO/SOTW. Should I start up a real timeline when we get to SOTW 2, or now, or just not sweat it? I'm wanting the Pandia Press one since we use HO too.

SWB says they're totally unnecessary. I had the time when my oldest was in 1st and she enjoyed drawing pictures on index cards and putting them on a timeline, and then I kept all the pictures and they were really cute--but it was more extra fun than anything else.

I don't think they are necessary - we do have one posted on the wall and I think it does help them to physically "see" where in history things happened compared to where we are now (and sometime compared to something else we talked about). I just mark events with a sticker and brief word or two. Hope that helps!

We're not doing timelines for the first time through. I mention about how long ago something happened, like (that's 2000 years ago!) or whatever, and might mention things that happened around the same time (though the book often does that too). But no timelines. He can write those when he's older and has a better idea of how time fits together. :D