Menu

Is it possible for me to teach piano?

melmichigan

I have long wanted to add music to my kids lessons even before we homeschooled but can't seem to afford it, especially lately. Is it really possible for me to teach them (and learn myself :tongue_smilie:)? If so what would I use for curriculum and why? I am not looking for a follow the colors approach but a traditional approach to piano.

I am teaching my daughter Piano and I don't play piano, but I do have a backround in music (I play guitar, cello and bass) so I can read it and whatnot. I bought Alfred's piano course for adults and a kid's course for my dd and I would study ahead a few lessons in the adult book and then I was able to handle what I found in the kids' course. :) Good luck to you! I'm in the same boat and my dd didn't want to learn the instruments that I was versed in, but we are managing just fine. She can play two handed and does the chords and everything all together now. :)

Could you find group lessons in your area? I am not sure I'd go it alone with music. I've been paying for private piano lessons for four kids at various times, but no more than three at a time, for 16 years. I cannot pay $52.50 an hour any more for my current two piano players. So instead of going in every week we're going in every two weeks. Perhaps such a solution may work for you. I do not play piano. In the last 16 years I've learned a lot, but not enough. A "good" piano teacher makes a huge difference. I think it also depends on your music goal.

I think that you would probably be able to teach the basics without any prior knowledge. The first few years are just about learning to read the music and how to make your hands go to the right places. After that, though, it would be pretty tough. However, I know lots of older teen and college girls who are happy to do piano lessons for $10 and hour or so. You might try finding someone like that who knows how to play and would be willing to teach, but isn't necessarily a concert pianist. For the first few years, especially, that would be just fine.

I just ordered a couple of the Alfred's books and plan to teach my soon-to-be six year old (I have a feeling once he sees the books, I won't have to do much.).

ETA: I did have lessons way back when and three of my older kids have as well. I'm just holding off on this little guy until he's a little bigger (longer fingers).

I think that you would probably be able to teach the basics without any prior knowledge. The first few years are just about learning to read the music and how to make your hands go to the right places. After that, though, it would be pretty tough. However, I know lots of older teen and college girls who are happy to do piano lessons for $10 and hour or so. You might try finding someone like that who knows how to play and would be willing to teach, but isn't necessarily a concert pianist. For the first few years, especially, that would be just fine.

That's exactly what I am doing with my dd. :) The basics of music reading are pretty much the same for any instrument with the piano just having the exception of the grand staff instead of just the treble or bass clef, but since I can read for both I have no qualms about teaching her the basics even though I don't play piano. I figure why spend a fortune hiring a teacher for the basics?? and if she takes to it I can hire one later on when she has already proven that she has an aptitude and a liking for the instrument. :)

Same here. I did have piano lessons growing up, till high school years. We use Bastein books and started from primary books. piano is pretty easy to pick up and sheet reading skill will transfer to just about any other instrument. I like Bastein books, for it has not only classical music but a mix of jazz or rock'n roll type so the learner will be exposed to different genre. It is still a traditional learning method however and fairly easily available at local sheet music stores.

Good luck:)

I second the suggestion to look for group lessons if you can. If you want to teach lesson, I'd do something like recorder. There is a lot to recorder, but there is just so much more to the piano (I've taught both) that with no music background I don't recommend it.