Menu

Emergency planning-do you buy dried eggs for baking?

I would make a sorry survialist-I am just trying to prepare for a couple of weeks in case there was a run on the stores (storm, flu, etc) , or I just didn't want to get out after the baby. During which time I just know I would HAVE to have a chocolate cake:lol:

Thanks ladies for the links!

Backpackers will eat just about anything dried -- but dehydrated eggs. Ok, for long trips a few will carry heavily doctored dried eggs. For short trips they'll carry fresh eggs. But meals are frequently designed to avoid eggs.

If you really want pure, dehydrated eggs for cooking with, check this product. http://www.rei.com/product/753943 Check the reviewers comments on how to prepare a better tasting product. Normally what you find are heavily doctored dried eggs (such as scrambles eggs with bacon, etc).

ETA. I've never used this product.

Edited by Kathy in MD

Deyhdrated eggs? Blergh!

I've been experimenting with egg free baking and have had perfectly tasty cakes by substituting banana, apple sauce or linseed. Which works best with a particular recipe does take a bit of playing around with, but hey, experimentation is half the fun. Look for vegan cake recipes online, if you need to.

Rosie

Powdered eggs, even the ones from food storage companies are nasty and don't work very well, in my experience. We use soy flour. One Tbsp. of soy flour + 1 Tbsp. of water per egg. Easy to store (though there is fat in it so it can go rancid after quite a while) and has more than one use. Most of the time I use applesauce instead of water - makes the finished product a little moister.

As an aside, we do store powdered goat milk and powdered buttermilk - both work well for baking. I almost like the powdered buttermilk better than the liquid. Baking is the one thing we can always do around here no matter how long it has been since I have been to the store :001_smile: and :glare: