Menu

Has anyone used Rod and Staff for 2nd grade?

sahm99

I really like the structure of R&S 3rd grade and up. I have never looked at the 2nd grade book and am considering this for dd now. Any experiences? Btw, we did FLL for her 1st grade, which was okay, but given that I want to switch eventually anyways, I figure we could do this now rather than next year...

I am looking forward to hearing your opinions!

TIA!

Yep. I used it with my DD last year for about half the year. FLL just wasn't working for us. As with much of R&S, there were always PLENTY of questions to answer. I usually did a section or two orally and assigned even or odd questions for the rest.

We used it last year for 2nd grade and really enjoyed it. Last year was our first year homeschooling, so my daughter had been through the PS stuff for K and 1st. She dove right in, had no problems and learned A LOT. I found it to be pretty gentle, but rigorous, as well, if that makes sense.

I am guessing you are only asking about the English? We just started it and love it so far. I have looked through the book completely, and am very excited about it. DD6 likes it too.

We do some orally, and some written. We will probably do both reviews on one day, instead of over 2 days also, to move more quickly. I bought the tests for test practice. We will see how that goes too. I don't know if it will be necessary. But for daily grammar and writing practice, so far so good.

• 1 month later...

My ds, who is all boy and would rather be playing in the creek than doing ANY formal school, has done very well with R&S. We started hsing in 2nd grade and, thankfully, somehow were introduced to R&S. His grammar ability now amazes me (6th grade.) We did 2, 3, and 4. Last year when we hit 5th grade I felt like the demands of 5 were too great. Because he had had such a wonderful foundation of grammar I decided we could slow down. We spent a year doing LLATL, mostly for the literature studies. The grammar was way below his level. This year, in 6th, we are going back to R&S 5. Because dd only went through R&S 7 and made a 35 on the ACT in grammar, I don't think there is any hurry to rush through these last books. We will continue to use R&S but at a slower pace. However, I am so glad that we started in 2nd when the grammar just came naturally to him and now he has such a wonderful foundation.

Did 1st grade phonics, reading & Math last year. We are doing 2nd grade now phonics, reading, math, and( English - our ds does not like to write so we do it orally and copy some pages then adjust directions). I almost made the mistake of not getting English because of his lack of writ ting but, so glad I did he loves it and really understands it - it is a wonderful program :thumbup:

Lisa

dd 18 :smash:

ds 7 :gnorsi:

We're about 2.5 months into using R&S 2 and we're really loving it. We usually have him write one section and do the rest orally. My plan is to stay with it all the way through for both boys. Right now, we'll definitely start the younger boy in R&S 2 as well.

FLL was a HUGE flop here. DS loathed it and learned nothing of value. :(