Menu

CC or PA Homeschoolers course?

Decisions, decisions. I think it would be fun for ds to take an online AP class, but for the price of one online class I can pay for two CC classes. My only hesitation with obtaining several CC credits is (and this my be absurd) the imagined effect they could have on competing for acceptance into veterinary school. Would non science/math classes from a CC carry less weight?

susan

I don't think that anything one does in high school (except not take enough math or science or something criminal) makes any difference in grad school acceptance, be it vet school, med school,law school, or reg. grad school. I don't recall anyone asking us for high school transcripts. The only think that might matter in vet school admission in a helpful way is volunteer work with animals that goes back to high school years. Otherwise, your college record, work or volunteer experience, and test scores on grad school tests will make the difference.

Don't know if vet school is like med school, but I think that all college-level courses (including cc courses taken in high school) count toward the all-important college GPA (and of course, MCAT score) for entry into med (vet?) school. Maybe some one else on the board can clarify for vet school.

For med school, I'd avoid cc classes taken during high school unless I was sure dc would do very well. AP, by comparison, seems a more "forgiving" route. If the child messes up, it doesn't count against them further along the road.

HTH,

Sandra

Don't know if vet school is like med school, but I think that all college-level courses (including cc courses taken in high school) count toward the all-important college GPA (and of course, MCAT score) for entry into med (vet?) school. Maybe some one else on the board can clarify for vet school.

For med school, I'd avoid cc classes taken during high school unless I was sure dc would do very well. AP, by comparison, seems a more "forgiving" route. If the child messes up, it doesn't count against them further along the road.

HTH,

Sandra

Thanks. I think he will do just fine. He took an English class last year and made an A. My concern came when a friend asked if it came down to choosing between a student that had CC credit and a student who took all classes at the state school, who would be chosen. I didn't know if AP looked better ,or not?? I have no idea, so thought I'd ask if anyone had opinions or experience.

I know for a fact that many four year institutions do NOT accept or transfer CC credits. You need to check with any that you'd be applying to to see what they'll take.

With AP - most places will award credit for a good exam score. And, they'll KNOW your student most likely had a challenging course.

With CC - sorry to say - you never know what people are getting. YOU might, as the parent, obviously; but colleges very often are suspicious of CC courses and won't take them.

Does depend on how selective a school you're hoping for, I'd think, too.

And for later, I've heard for vet school - harder to get into than med school. Seems like you'd want to have all your ducks in a row.

I think AP definitely carries more weight than CC courses.

Decisions, decisions. I think it would be fun for ds to take an online AP class, but for the price of one online class I can pay for two CC classes. My only hesitation with obtaining several CC credits is (and this my be absurd) the imagined effect they could have on competing for acceptance into veterinary school. Would non science/math classes from a CC carry less weight?

susan

If your state system has to accept the credits (as all FL state schools do) I say take the cc classes. Why would it be a negative if his grades are up to par? If your ds stays in state, he'll have more of those pre-reqs done, giving him more time to take additional upper-level classes. Plus for the price, it makes more sense to get 2 college classes for the price of 1 high school class.

We just had this discussion as a family last night. Dh is a MD and dd wants to major in Forensic Chem. We debated whether to take CC courses or AP. DH's opinion is if you are going to try to enter a competitive science field-medicine, vet school or whatever, all your science courses should be taken at your main university. Now he speaks from no homeschool to college experience.

His opinion was to take only basic courses at CC such as english, spanish, psych, history etc. but still thought that AP would trump any CC class (that is only his opinion though).

I would recommend calling the college she plans to attend and ask for their recommendation.

I feel rather out of the loop. My older two, who are finished with high school never did AP courses, but I do know what they are. But what is this CC?

I have two younger ones and am wondering if this term is something I should know.

In the context above, it stands for Community College (also known as junior colleges in some locales). In another context, it might stand for Christian content. It's a wise plan to ask.

Regards,

Kareni

In the context above, it stands for Community College (also known as junior colleges in some locales). In another context, it might stand for Christian content. It's a wise plan to ask.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you!

I should have figured out the Community College meaning, but I wouldn't have guessed the other - at least not from the topic of this thread.