Menu

What is your favorite Latin root word vocab program?

dancer67

I like English From the Roots Up. My children make their roots on index cards and are encouraged to study independently during the week. We get together for group time to see who knows the roots the fastest.

Janell

Rummy roots goes along nicely with this!

Wow, all of these look good. Now I am not sure which one to choose.

I like English from the Roots up, as it looks hands on. But it doesn't really say how long both courses should take, and it ends after Volume 2.

Memoria press only has one book. And Vocabulary Vine does too.

I have to look into the Critical Thinking one as well.

Should root word study only be done for a few years, then move on to something else? If so, like what?

That might help me make my decision a little easier.

Thank you so much!:001_smile:

IMO, root study is something that's best done continuously (which is NOT the way we do it, unfortunately!) or--if you're like us--continually, off and on over the years when we have time or I feel the kids especially need it. I don't think it's possible to memorize the major Latin and Greek roots and be done with it--roots programs, along with Latin and reading and spelling are all needed over the course of years to beat those words into their brains! I like Vocabulary Vine because it can be used off and on, over the course of a year or more if you like, and could easily be integrated into Latin, spelling, etc. It's hands-on, like EftRU, but easier, I think, to implement.

I also think you could do your own roots study, just by keeping a roots box--maybe having the kids write down a root a week on an index card, taken from reading or spelling, then recording sentences or words using that root as they find them during the year. Any good dictionary will give you the same info. you'll get from a roots program. Hmmm....may have to do that this year myself! :)

I love Vocabulary from Classical Roots. I looked at lots of different vocab programs and felt VfCR was the best, for these reasons:

1. Open-&-go; very straightforward and easy to use (which means it will get done!)

2. Uses a variety of activities to reinforce the vocabulary, without the time-consuming flash cards (although you can add these if you want)

3. Includes built-in review every 4th lesson

4. Covers 4th grade through high school so you don't have to cobble together different programs to continue doing vocabulary roots

5. Flexible - you can go slowly with one book per year (16 lessons), or easily fit in two by doing a lesson each week

It's also what SWB recommends in WTM. :001_smile:

Jackie

Mary in MN:

It's hands-on, like EftRU, but easier, I think, to implement.
How is Vocabulary Vines easier than English for the Roots Up? We make cards for our roots boxes from the 200 roots in vol. 1 and 2 of EftRU. I didn't think it could be easier when EftRU has the exactly what each index card should look like. It is rather copy and go. Thank you.

Janell

since I reviewed it but didn't use it. I think I was overwhelmed by all the activities.

Simple, repetitive approaches tend to work best around here; that is, the subject matter can be complex, but the way that we approach it needs to be as streamlined as possible. And we're not very good about doing flashcards or quizzing, so I appreciate the way that study and review is built in to the program--kids go back to the cards and add words as the roots come up in other lessons. I like the VV focus on context and on figuring out words from the roots. Making the flashcards was easy for the boys once they had done a few. I also found that Vocabulary Vine could be used with a variety of ages--8, 10, and 12 year olds all used it here, without feeling too challenged or dumbed down.

For another family, EftRU is probably just right--and it could probably be simplified in a way that didn't occur to me when I first looked at it.

Mary

2. Uses a variety of activities to reinforce the vocabulary, without the time-consuming flash cards (although you can add these if you want)

Do you use TM for ideas, or are you referring to excercise portion? I know I want VFCR for all the reason you've listed here but I'm not sure how to impliment:confused:

• 5 months later...