Menu

Biology curriculum for 7 and 10 year olds?

Verity

Hey all, I am still trying to figure out how to simplify things as much as possible. I want to teach my older boys together when we can, combining history and some other subjects. We are doing year one of the cycle so I would like to start with Biology and need a curriculum that is appropriate for a 2nd and 5th grader. I was planning to use RS4K but it seemed that I needed to do Prelevel 1 for the 2nd grader and level 1 for the 5th grader.

Any other suggestions?

What a cool textbook! I am wondering what it would cost to print it out at a Kinko's or something like that? I prefer for us to do less reading on the computer (at least for the kids lol)

I printed the whole darn thing out on my printer - I shudder to think of of the ink cost. I printed it double-sided on thicker paper, and that worked very well. I think I could have used 1/3 of the ink if I had not printed the chapter header pages, which for some unknown reason are in full color, full-page, and have no other information on them other than the chapter number. If I end up paying for one of the other sciences, I will definitely print my own chapter header pages, with the words "Chapter X" in black and white - that will save tons of ink, and make it much more doable!

I will also print out the student worksheets separately from the text, even though that will screw up the page numbering. They are in black and white and could easily be printed out and bound separately, or printed as-needed on 3-hole punch paper. This will make it easier to do the worksheets while referencing back to the text, and also make the text much thinner! Now that I've done it the other way, it's obvious that this is what I should have done.

I have not bothered printing out the parent's guide, although that would also be easier for me than reading on the computer - in that case it's not worth the work/paper/money. I will sometimes print out the labs as-needed, or sometimes I just bring my laptop over to the table where we're doing the lab.

I printed the cover on cardstock, laminated it with clear shelf paper, then had the whole thing bound at Kinko's for $3.

I'd just use the Real Science 4 Kids Level 1 for both of them and have your younger one do less writing. See if they've done the KOGS for Biology yet, because that ties the science in with other subjects. My dd did the Chemistry KOGS for science, and it gave some history of the science involved. She even had to do some of her own research to answer some of the time line questions.

Hey all, I am still trying to figure out how to simplify things as much as possible. I want to teach my older boys together when we can, combining history and some other subjects. We are doing year one of the cycle so I would like to start with Biology and need a curriculum that is appropriate for a 2nd and 5th grader. I was planning to use RS4K but it seemed that I needed to do Prelevel 1 for the 2nd grader and level 1 for the 5th grader.

Any other suggestions?

I've just spent the past week trawling through these boards and numerous curricula trying to figure out this very same question :tongue_smilie: Next year I'll have 2nd and 5th dds and would love to combine. I liked the look of RS4K but the eldest has already covered around half the units so it wouldn't be much new stuff for her. I really liked the pictures and the word roots but, on the whole, it's not going to be worthwhile.

I think I've finally settled on using Mr Q's science lessons and include the 2nd grader where appropriate. Hopefully it will work but if not I'll just separate and have the 2nd grader do science a la TWTM way :001_smile:

:bigear: I'd love to hear what others have done.

Edited by Sara Mac