Menu

What size freezer? energy savings?

We currently have a smaller freezer and it's old....I'm starting to save money up for either a 19.7 or 21.7 cu. ft. freezer. We buy a quarter of beef when we need it and I also stockpile, garden. it's just time that we need a bigger freezer. Any advice on which one you would go with? Also, if you've gone from an old freezer to a new freezer, did your electricity drop? Surely a newer freezer would be more economical. Dh is against getting a 2nd smaller freezer.

Thanks,

Phlox

They are most likely a lot more energy efficient. You can find the ratings on the sides of each, then figure out your savings. (Or, if it is not on it, look up the model and you should be able to figure it out. A new one should have the info right on the tag.)

When we got a new water heater in Arkansas, we were moving before it would have paid for itself, but it would have paid for itself in energy savings in only 3 years!

Good luck with your purchase! Our freezer died a few months ago during hunting season and all the stores were sold out! We couldn't wait the three days it would take to order one because of all the meat we had. We finally found a Lowe's that showed one in stock in their computer. After some hunting we located it on a high shelf. Thank God for the freezer alarm!

I recommend you check out the Energy Star website before purchasing any refrigerator or freezer. By doing that you can find out what energy consumption rating is currently the best and look for that when you go to the store. With freezers most are the same, since most are made by the same company.

As you say, energy usage goes down with newer models. The typical rule of thumb for refrigerators and freezers is for energy to drop by 50% every 10 years.

We currently have a smaller freezer and it's old....I'm starting to save money up for either a 19.7 or 21.7 cu. ft. freezer. We buy a quarter of beef when we need it and I also stockpile, garden. it's just time that we need a bigger freezer. Any advice on which one you would go with? Also, if you've gone from an old freezer to a new freezer, did your electricity drop? Surely a newer freezer would be more economical. Dh is against getting a 2nd smaller freezer.

Thanks,

Phlox

Dh suggested getting 2 small ones, but I don't want to do that because of the space. Our old 23 cu.ft. (20 years old, I think) has lid problems -- a thick layer of ice has built up between the insulation & the lid liner, and the lid is HEAVY, and probably unsafe electrically speaking. I'm sure we're paying extra in energy costs as well because the way it is now cannot possibly be energy efficient. Dh says our electric bill is higher than it should be.

Although the new 25 cu.ft. we're looking at isn't listed as energy efficient, we figure that it will cost less in electricity because 1) it won't have lid issues, and 2) newer appliances are generally more energy efficient than older ones.