Menu

Supplementing Singapore Math

I really like Singapore math but I think my kiddos need more to learn the basic math facts. I am thinking of supplementing. For those of you than supplement, do you do your supplemental math at the same time or do you do one term singapore math one term supplemental math?

I am leaning towards doing 1/2 year singapore 1/2 year something else for math and keep rotating with the same program on up. I think that would be easier than trying to do 2 math programs at one time.

Has anyone btdt and have some advise?

I am thinking of doing either Abeka math, R&S math, or scott-foresman/addison wesley math opposite Singapore math.

Any advise or help or btdt experience would be great.

If I feel the kids need more practice in basic math drill I supplement as we go along. I wait for a day when I think the Singapore assignment is fairly light (no new concepts) and I add in a drill sheet. I use different things. I've used Calculadders, Miquon, flashcards, computer games and this year I bought the Blackline Masters from R&S. Since Singapore is a bit ahead of US math in level I had to buy the blacklines from R&S Math 2 to supplement Primary Math 1. I don't do everything in the supplemental programs I buy. I just target the practice on what I think they need practice in. We also cherry pick assignments from the Intensive Practice books and CWP. So today for example, I have my ds working on R&S Blossoms and Bees worksheets to practice 9+7=16. But we keep moving ahead in Singapore while we do the drill. Singapore ends up with a good bit of practice in math facts if you use all the supplemental materials (IP, CWP, Rainbow Rock), but I still like to switch things around a bit. HTH.

I supplement with Horizons. I like the way Singapore teaches new concepts, but the pace and sequence is just not what I want out of a math program. I think Horizons complements it very well. I use Horizons as my base but when new concepts come up I switch to Singapore to teach the concept and get the initial practice in. Horizons does provide instructions for the teacher, but IMO Singapore has a much better script/plan for teaching new ideas.

I did Singapore alone for 1B, 2A and half of 2B, then switched to the second book of Horizons 2 and have been referring back to Singapore for multiplication, fractions, and time. I use Horizons for daily practice. This has worked very well and my son feels that Horizons is easy.

We've been doing Singapore for about 3 yrs. and I'm branching out this fall. We will be doing Saxon 3 X wk. and Singapores CWP and IP 2 X wk. Ds does really well with Singapore but he needs more drill. I'd also like to purchase RS's math games and their abacus w/manual. I like Singapore b/c it really requires ds to understand the concept being taught and Saxon is drilling the skills.

I use Right Start and Singapore. RS works on the same basic philosophy, and has great daily drill for math facts and fun games.

My kids work on both at the same time. A lesson in RS and 2-3 pages per day in Singapore.

I also use the IP and CWP books. The kids just work through one whole book at a time.

Heather

I use Right Start and Singapore. RS works on the same basic philosophy, and has great daily drill for math facts and fun games.

My kids work on both at the same time. A lesson in RS and 2-3 pages per day in Singapore.

I also use the IP and CWP books. The kids just work through one whole book at a time.

Heather

I am hoping to combine the two, but am wondering if you go through and do lessons in one based on whatever your main program is teaching so that it's not confusing for the child to be covering totally different topics at different times. I already have Right Start and have just ordered Singapore, so I haven't been able to look at them side by side yet.

I am hoping to combine the two, but am wondering if you go through and do lessons in one based on whatever your main program is teaching so that it's not confusing for the child to be covering totally different topics at different times. I already have Right Start and have just ordered Singapore, so I haven't been able to look at them side by side yet.

Nope we cover totally different topics. To date it doesn't seem to confuse them, but we have a formal teaching time for each, and at the end of that time I make sure they get what is going on in their workbook pages.

Heather

We're going to be using Singapore 3A and Teaching Textbooks 5 along with Calculadders for the facts. DD will do TT every day independently and I'll do 20 or so of SM with her 2-3 times per week. Calculadders is just a few minutes so we'll do that everyday as well. Once a week, we'll do some fun math gamew like war, 21 (blackjack), giant head-sized inflatable dice with math facts on them, computer math games, quartermile math, etc. Sometimes I might throw in some of the extra stuff is the SM HIG. I've even considered Verbal Math from the folks that published The Reading Lesson. It seems like a great supplement. Confused yet? LOL

I won't try to match up concepts, we'll just hit them as we get to them in each program, hoping one reinforces the other.