Menu

Is Explode the Code ok as a stand alone?

Garga

I didn't start using it until my child was already fluent with basic phonics (he was able to sound out CVC words when we began ETC 1). The teacher's guides provide supplemental activities that really enrich the program quite nicely. You could probably pick up a used teacher's guide on the cheap and thumb through it to get an idea of what it brings to the table and go from there. We do not supplement with any other formal programs.

I know many do it, but I just don't see how ETC can be used as a stand-alone. I don't have the Teacher's Guides, but have used the early books and now using Book 1 and have Book 1 1/2 ready to go. Maybe it's just me, or maybe my child's learning style, but I definately do not see how the child is getting a clear defined phonics-base from JUST ETC.

We are using OPGTR, and ETC. Since OPGTR doesn't have any writing (at least we haven't got to any yet), ETC is a nice "extra" for phonics. Definately not over-kill.

hth

K

I was using it as a stand alone..all the way to 1st grade...Then started Alphaphonics just to try it out....boy did my kids explode in reading! My opinion, it shouldn't be used as a stand alone!

I agree, it's not a stand alone. We used it while using 100EZ and I felt both were important and necessary in their own way.

Thank you sooo much. I was going to use it alone and that sounds like a bad idea.

We've already used 2 other phonics programs, but for various reasons ds has stagnated and isn't progressing at all. I felt we needed to go back to the beginning and get our phonics foundation solidified.

Thank you for your responses. If I started using ETC alone, we might have been right back in this same position next year. I'm very hopeful that using OPGTTR with ETC will be the answer now that I know about it.