Menu

Need to do Phonics AND Spelling?

curlyhorse

My 6 yo is reading well - Magic treehouse books etc - with good comprehension. However I do not feel she got a strong basis in phonics so we are going to review PP from the beginning when we start this school year. I am feeling that starting a spelling program at the same time might not be necessary and better suited for when we complete PP or near the end.

Am I wrong here? Do you feel it would be better to start a spelling program as well (and why)?

Thanks for your advice!

Years ago I struggled with the same question. I thought it was rather redundant to teach years of phonics, then years of spelling rules. So I gave up spelling and take about 3 years to go through the PP, memorizing rules as we go. I have taught 3 children to read and spell this way. They read a page (or more) and then I dictate words to them, correcting mistakes as they make them, reminding them of the rule. I dictate 10 words a day. So every week they have taken dictation for at least 50 words and sometimes more if it is a two word dictation.

This has given me three solid readers & spellers. My oldest dd went to ps until fourth grade and is my worst speller, although she isn't a bad reader.

Anyhow, hope this is helpful to you!

Magistra Michelle

I found with my daughter that she learns the phonics faster when we do spelling at the same time.

My remedial students also do better when they do both reading and spelling.

For my daughter, I used Webster's Speller in K to teach reading. It teaches mainly by pattern, but I also taught her the rules. We went over the rules again this year, she was better able to learn them this year, although she still learned best by pattern, not rules.

Thanks for the input - I think I will start the year with just the phonics adding in the spelling rules emphasis as we come across them. This will give me time to research a spelling program to add in... haven't found a solid recommendation yet. Just want a simple, straightforward, quick lesson program. I've read good things about AAS ...

You could go the route of teaching spelling by using a program that incorporates the phonics rules. Some programs like this teach reading by teaching spelling. This is how programs like AAS, SWR, and The Writing Road to Reading work. I love this concept because you are killing two birds with one stone.

I have a list of rules incorporated with Blend Phonics, it's free and it reviews reading while teaching spelling and spelling and phonics rules. I have instructions for using it with older remedial students that are using it mainly for reading and just doing a bit of spelling, but you could read a few less words and spell a few more.

It is on my how to tutor page

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

in this paragraph

Your number one task is to get them to stop guessing and start sounding out each and every word from left to right. Nonsense words are key, they help prevent guessing. Here is a free website that generates nonsense words. Syllables are also helpful, I would use the Blend Phonics Reader (it helps show how guessing is a bad strategy by showing words with similar configuration together) followed by Webster’s Speller. Here is a step by step guide to using Blend Phonics that also adds in syllables, spelling and phonics rules, syllable division rules, and syllable division exercises. There are also readings from Hebrews 12 that can be added to show progress through the program.

but I can't rec. enough the Phonic Road. It combines both spelling and phonics in such a way that you end up with both excellent readers and spellers. Love, love, love the program. So much so that we even have transitioned our then 3rd grader, now rising 4th so we can use it with her. I saw an instant change in my then 6yos reading and spelling.

Dot was outright offended at learning phonics rules formally. "I already KNOW how to read!"

And she did. :tongue_smilie: We're using CLE Language Arts this year, which has spelling built into the program. My plan is to sneak the rules into her spelling lessons rather than try and teach her phonics for reading. The rules are the same, and knowing how to apply them to spelling will translate to her upper-level reading.

i bought the Natural Speller in hopes have having something very laid back and simple to use in conjunction with WWE and FLL1. i don't know if it's going to work out .... now this thread is making me doubt it even more. we've been working through PP (and finished K and 1st of Phonics Museum, ETC 1-4 as well) .... and are nearing the end, but i didn't have him memorize the rules .... how do you implement that? should i just go back through? i really didn't want to add AAS to our already extensive curriculum lineup (that i'm feeling may be too ambitious anyway).

i bought the Natural Speller in hopes have having something very laid back and simple to use in conjunction with WWE and FLL1. i don't know if it's going to work out .... now this thread is making me doubt it even more. we've been working through PP (and finished K and 1st of Phonics Museum, ETC 1-4 as well) .... and are nearing the end, but i didn't have him memorize the rules .... how do you implement that? should i just go back through? i really didn't want to add AAS to our already extensive curriculum lineup (that i'm feeling may be too ambitious anyway).

Since you bought Natural Speller, why not go ahead and give it a try this year and see how it works? If you decide you need something more, then you could evaluate a change later. One thing I've learned over the years is that the curriculum grass always looks greener on the other side, but sometimes I already have some nice, green, lush curriculum grass :-). Anyway, as much as I love AAS, don't feel like you need to change the plan you have for this year yet--give what you have a try, it may work out for you.

Merry :-)

One thing I've learned over the years is that the curriculum grass always looks greener on the other side, but sometimes I already have some nice, green, lush curriculum grass :-). Anyway, as much as I love AAS, don't feel like you need to change the plan you have for this year yet--give what you have a try, it may work out for you.

Merry :-)

thanks, merry, i need more experienced moms speaking into my life like you just did. i appreciate the wisdom you offered! :) i have put a lot of thought and prayer into the curriculum ... and i should try it out first! :)