Menu

Gainesville FL must see list

The Florida Museum of Natural History is on the UF campus. I haven't been in a long time, but remember it being very nice. General admission is free. They do have a butterfly exhibit that has an admission fee.

Also on the UF campus, we always enjoyed going out to Lake Alice. We would sometimes catch a glimpse of a gator or two there. It isn't very exciting, but free.

You might check out this website for more information.

HTH

I've been researching Gainesville for many months now, and made several trips in the last few weeks, as we are preparing to move there in within 2 months.

There is not alot to do. It's a relatively small college town. Somethings have already been mentioned. That's about it. Really.

Oh, one thing that is just outside of Gainesville, in Newberry, is the Dudley Farm. It's a beautiful historic farmstead, self-guided, walk through old house, all of the outbuildings are there. Free-range chickens, and a few horses to look at. It's shaded, and makes a pleasant afternoon. We went on a field trip there last year. Loved it.

Oh, and Santa Fe College is supposed to have a great Planetarium.

Born and raised in Gainesville. There are a lot of fun activities for you and your dc. Here are some of our favorites:

*Florida Museum of Natural History -- a must-see. Most of the museum is free, although a butterfly conservatory was added a few years ago which has an admissions price. The butterfly area is enclosed and climate-controlled, so you can go on a hot, humid or wet day. In fact, you may want to save the museum for rainy weather. While you're down that way, you could go to the Harn Museum of Art (I've not yet been). Another favorite on that part of campus would be a walk around Lake Alice (favorite alligotor watching spot) and the Chapel on Lake Alice.

*Santa Fe Teaching Zoo -- free last time we went, but I believe they may charge a fee nowadays.

*Devil's Millhopper -- this is an excellent example of a Florida sinkhole. There are boardwalks down to the bottom and it's fairly shaded. Off Millhopper Rd.

*Poe Springs -- there are lots of freshwater springs around Gainesville (Jenny Springs, Itchnetucknee), but this is one of the closest. Fun swimming spot on a hot day.

*Morningside Farm -- an old favorite. Great hike through a longleaf pine forest as well as a Cracker farm.

*If you still have young ones, there is a great playground at Terwilliger Elementary (my alma mater ;)), just next to the Oaks Mall. It was built by community volunteers and is a huge wooden conglomeration of forts, bridges, hiding spots and such. Lots of benches for parents and shaded by huge oaks.

*Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings homesite -- this is perhaps special to locals, but her homesite is preserved (and now a state park) in Cross Creek. If you or your dc have read the book, it's a great trip. It's south of G'ville, before you get to Ocala, so you could possibly hit it on the trip up or back.

*And my dc's favorite . . . heading to Florida Field to walk around and/or run the bleachers!

And two local restaurants: Leonardo's (excellent, Chicago-style pizza by the slice or pan) and Sonny's (started in good 'ol G'ville).

Have a great trip! We're actually heading there next week.

Lisa

There is not alot to do. It's a relatively small college town. Somethings have already been mentioned. That's about it. Really.

While Gainesville is a small, college town, I think you'll find quite a lot to do in Gainesville actually. There are great parks as well as many cultural activities connected with the university and city. There are some wonderful one-day trips to Cedar Key, Itchnetucknee, the East Coast beaches, Kennedy Space Center, Silver Springs and more. UF is a thriving landgrant university which sponsors countless educational opportunities such as speakers, department open houses, music school concerts, art and museum exhibits -- we are trying to head over for the vet school open house this year.

Best wishes in your move,

Lisa

About a half hour north of Gainesville. It takes 2 to 4 hours depending on where you get in. You get the tubes outside of the park ($5 each). So much fun! We saw turtles, turkeys and deer. Also inside the park are two blue holes for swimming.

http://floridastateparks.org/ichetuckneesprings/default.cfm

The natural history museum is worthwhile.

Best pizza in Gainesville is Satchel's. And yes, you can eat in the van: http://www.satchelspizza.com/

No one mentioned the Bat House which is in the Lake Alice area. Go at dusk and watch thousands of bats come out for the night.

Also, I believe that the SF Zoo now requires reservations if it is during the week, but you would have to double check their website.

I am a docent at the Natural History Museum. Currently, the other exhibit (in addition to the rainforest) that you have to pay to get in for is also about butterflies. It is good for children aged 7-12 roughly, but not overwhelmingly great in my opinion. The rainforest is wonderful and I would suggest going in the morning when the museum opens (10 am).

I believe that the Harn Museum still has the Esphyr exhibit going on which you don't want to miss if you have ever read "Caps for Sale" to your children.

There is also Devil's Millhopper geological site - a giant sinkhole.

Payne's Prairie if you want to go out looking for alligators, although I find them easy enough to locate on campus.

The physics building also has some interactive things in the entrance area if you happen to be walking around campus.

Christina

You've already had the best answers, but I just had to add that my heart skipped a beat when I saw Gainesville, FL in the subject line.

Some of the best years of my life were spent with my best friend, now my husband, in Gainesville. I love it there. I lived a block off of University Ave and I biked everywhere.

I can't remember if anyone posted Payne's Prairie- it is amazing. And they actually have buffalo roaming. At least they used to. They have a great bike path- a rails for trails thing- that parallels the Prairie with great views. As a matter of fact the mountain biking in that whole area is excellent.

Love, love, love Gainesville. Did I mention how much I like it there?

Enjoy.

Jo