Menu

Sewing people: any recs for a total newbie to it?

Like, TOTAL newbie. I don't know where to put the thread or anything. Thankfully the bargain machine I bought at the thrift store the other day has a wonderfully detailed manual!!

I don't understand a lot of terms, though. Like sizing and serge and a lot more. I am wanting to make leotards for my daughter- I know those are not a real simple way to start out, but hey, I thought I'd try. Fabric is really cheap here so I can make a few disasters to practice on.

ANy website recommendations to learn this stuff? Books are probably out- library stinks and I don't want to buy books anyway. Any tutorial type websites?

As a brand newbie, a leotard with stretchy material may cause you way to much grief for a first project. When I learned on the machine my first "project" was to sew on lines on paper without thread in the machine to learn how to "drive" it, so to speak. Next I made a simple skirt for myself that was crooked but taught me a lot about following a pattern and controlling speed of the machine. If you have a store that offers lessons, it may be worth it to sign up for a basic course. I was very lucky, my mother was super patient with me when I learned. Good luck!

I highly recommend lessons, or a sewing coach, who could walk you through your first project. Of course it's not impossible to learn on your own, but it would be a huge help to have someone show you what to do. If you could pay an experienced sewer $20 to sit with you for a couple of hours and guide you through your first leo, that would pay for itself in one leotard (I have 2 dancers and a gymnast--I feel your pain). I know you don't want books, but I'm starting my kids on this and thought I'd mention it anyway, since the first module is all about your machine:

http://blueflamingodesigns.com/HomeSchool.aspx

I suppose the third option would be just to get in there and start sewing. Pick a simple pattern, start at step 1 and go. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but it's not rocket science, either! For your project, pay special attention to your fabric (maybe start with some marked "swimsuit fabric" at the store--I think it has to stretch 4 ways, but the fabric store ladies can help you) and the direction in which you lay out your pattern--that's going to be key with stretchy fabric. And I think a leo might actually be a good first project, since there won't be a lot of sizing required. If you can handle those tiny little elastic casings (practice first on some scraps), go for it.

Terri

Check out the boards at sewingmamas.com

I have learned a *ton* of information there! It is great to see pictures of what everyone is sewing, too. I know there have been people who didn't know how to sew, joined, and were sewing beautiful things pretty fast!

Also, I've made a few leotards. I like the Kwik Sew patterns because they seem to fit well. You can use swimsuit fabric or a cotton/lycra fabric with a good amount of stretch to it.

Good luck and have fun!

Congrats on your purchase and wanting to learn how to sew!

I have been sewing for, cough, 40 years and I still love it.

I have sewing hundreds of leotards and swim suits over the years, some professionally for Special Olympics and dance studios. I find them easy to sew, but they are probably not the place to learn to sew either. Make a pillowcase or a simple skirt...using fabric that won't shift and move on you to figure out how to use your machine. Yes, sewing on lined paper is a great way to learn.

some terms:

Serge. That is a stitch created by a serger. It is not the same thing as a sewing machine. It uses huge cones of thread, usually 4 at a time. Look inside your ready made clothing and see how the seams are finished. That is a serged seam.

Sizing could be several things.

If is referring to the sizing in fabric, it is like a starch that has been added to the fabric to make it lay straight and flat. It comes out when you wash it. All my fabric purchases go to my laundry room when they get to my house. After they have been washed, I take them ot my sewing room.

Knits especially need to be washed as they can shrink.

Wash your fabrics as you will wash the garment after it is made. Knits in cold water..etc.

If the sizing is referring to the sizes on patterns: Patterns tend to run very different sizes than ready made clothes. My daughter wears a 14/16 and I just made her a Butterick pattern skirt and we used an 18.

Kwik Sew patterns. I LOVE THEM! They run very true to size. They use techniques that work and aren't dumb. I am sure that makes no sense to you, but when you sew a t-shirt from a different pattern company, they might ask you to put in a zipper. Kwik sews patterns dont do that.

when starting out, use lots of pins..jsut don't sew over them!

Knits use a different needle than woven fabrics, but the pins are marked for stretch only.

Be sure you have at least a zig zag stitch on your machine. You can not sew a knit fabric with a straight stitch. The seams will pop. As for the stretch of the fabric, you lay out your fabric so the greatest stretch goes around your body.

Kwik sew patterns will tell you how to put in elastic....it is not that difficult. Learning to stretch the elastic to fit the fabric is key. It just takes practice.

Our local fabric store does offer lessons..they would be worth it if you are serious.

Have fun and feel free to PM me.

Edited by KatieinMich

I know you don't want books, but I'm starting my kids on this and thought I'd mention it anyway, since the first module is all about your machine:

http://blueflamingodesigns.com/HomeSchool.aspx

I looked at this website and it looks pretty good. Could you tell me about how many "lessons" are in a module, or, more specifically, how long it takes to cover one module?