Menu

Can we talk about monthly budgets for groceries and sundaries?

Out of my monthly household budget I purchase groceries, toiletries, shoes, misc. clothing, paper goods, household cleaners, and any eating out we do. Basically any Walmart, Target shopping that's done.

What do you think would be a realistic amount for 7 people? Considering we shop at Aldi, Goodwill, Walmart and Target for stuff.

There are 5 adults (3 college age) and a 10 year old. I spend about $250 a week shopping at Walmart and Costco. We live in the west - I think prices are a little higher here (milk at Costco $1.90/gallon, $2.33 at Walmart). And I am not very careful, pretty much buy what I want and quite a bit of organic.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I think prices are a little higher here (milk at Costco $1.90/gallon, $2.33 at Walmart).

:svengo:

I haven't seen milk priced that low in years! I must be looking in the wrong places...either that or central Texas has higher grocery prices than out West. Our prices are high! I pay $5.49 a gallon because I've gone to organic but even so the cheapest non-organic I see is close to $3.50.

Out of my monthly household budget I purchase groceries, toiletries, shoes, misc. clothing, paper goods, household cleaners, and any eating out we do. Basically any Walmart, Target shopping that's done.

What do you think would be a realistic amount for 7 people? Considering we shop at Aldi, Goodwill, Walmart and Target for stuff.

I don't know how big your people are and I would think that matters. (DH has warned me of the appetites of teenage boys.) I have three little people and I spend about $1000-1200 a month on grocery items (food, household cleaners, toiletries, paper products, etc.). The vast majority of that cost goes to fresh foods, which is why our grocery bill is so high. We eat very little pre-packaged or pre-made foods.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

It depends on how much you have to spend. I know that seems backwards, but the reality is that if you don't have it, you can't spend it.

There are 9 of us here and I think ideally I would have $1200-1400 a month, maybe a little more. With that I could buy plenty of in season produce, and better quality food. However, I know that many people (including us) couldn't afford that, so they make do with what they have.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Basically, I spend about $25-$30 per person per week for groceries and household items. That's not more than $750 a month for 6 of us. That does not include clothes and shoes. We do not eat out except for special occasions. I rarely buy stuff labelled organic unless it is on sale. We have a garden and right now it is saving us money in tomatoes alone. From 8 plants I will have frozen tomatoes to replace canned for most, if not all, of the winter. I'm also hoping for a good crop of butternut squash, if the borer worms don't get it. I also buy blueberries and corn from local farms and freeze.

We wear out our clothes and shoes, or pass them down. I have 4 boys so that helps. The oldest buys his own clothes, and grandma usually buys a lot of the younger boys things that they might need new. I buy them shoes socks and underwear. I buy many of my own things at the thrift store and dh's dress shirts too.

This recession is certainly good for my self esteem, lol. Now I'm just doing what I've always done and it's become the "in" thing to be frugal.

Edited by Virginia Dawn

Basically, I spend about $25-$30 per person per month for groceries and household items. That's not more than $750 a month for 6 of us. That does not include clothes and shoes. We do not eat out except for special occasions. I rarely buy stuff labelled organic unless it is on sale. We have a garden and right now it is saving us money in tomatoes alone. From 8 plants I will have frozen tomatoes to replace canned for most, if not all, of the winter. I'm also hoping for a good crop of butternut squash, if the borer worms don't get it. I also buy blueberries and corn from local farms and freeze.

We wear out our clothes and shoes, or pass them down. I have 4 boys so that helps. The oldest buys his own clothes, and grandma usually buys a lot of the younger boys things that they might need new. I buy them shoes socks and underwear. I buy many of my own things at the thrift store and dh's dress shirts too.

This recession is certainly good for my self esteem, lol. Now I'm just doing what I've always done and it's become the "in" thing to be frugal.

Do you mean $25-30 per week?

We have a family of 5. I coupon and bargain shop for clothes, etc. I do not include clothing in my budget, but it's less than $50.00 a month. Groceries and eating out are budgeted at $400.00 a month and I have full cabinets, try not to eat a lot of processed foods. Milk has been running $1.99 a gallon here, at CVS if you buy 5 gallons, you get one free, so I've been buying milk there. I also shop there and roll Extra Care Bucks. I never pay for toothpaste, shampoo, toothbrushes, dental floss, or pay very little for feminine products (though I don't use cause I use a menstrual cup) but I donate a lot. lunch meat, clearance & with coupons (dh takes his lunch everyday so I have to buy this) We have a garden and I freeze what I can and can salsa in the fall. I love to cook, so coming up with ways to use things is not hard for me.