Menu

Foyle's War: Is there romance, and if so, how much?

What are you asking about? I love the series and several of the characters have boyfriend/girlfriend relationships and one of the sergeants has problems with his wife but romance is not the main focus of the series. It is a very good mystery series set in WWII and has many thoughtful episodes. I am not sure this answered your question.

What are you asking about? I love the series and several of the characters have boyfriend/girlfriend relationships and one of the sergeants has problems with his wife but romance is not the main focus of the series. It is a very good mystery series set in WWII and has many thoughtful episodes. I am not sure this answered your question.

I have heard it recommended, and I was wondering if my 19 year old son would like it. I just wanted to check out the gender relationships. Relationships are fine, but not sexual scenes and such.

Thanks!

No, it is a show that was seen on tv and the most is someone taking a shirt on or off type of thing. No nudity or anything like that. We watched it with our older elem- teen children and had no concerns. It is as I said a thoughtful show and the emphasis is usually not on the romance at all. IT isn't all mushy or anything like that and does give a realistic look at life in wartime small town England.

We absolutely LOVE Foyle's War and have seen every episode at least 2-3 times. As far as romance....

Let's see -- Sam (female lead character) begins a relationship with Andrew, the son of her boss (Foyle), but Andrew is sent away to a flight base and the relationship deteriorates. Andrew breaks up with Sam through a letter, the jerk. Sam tries to be stoic and move on. Later, in the last episodes, Andrew comes back into the picture and sort of apologizes to Sam. My husband and I had a long post-movie discussion about this episode: Would THAT apology really be enough to heal the wounds? Would Sam really just shrug and say, "Righto, tickety-boo, pip-pip, Cheerio?" We thought not, but then again, we are not Samantha. I think that if you are considering watching these with your oldest son, there could be some GREAT lessons in films -- How to treat a young lady during a courtship/date. How to end/break off a relationship that isn't going to move forward without breaking a young lady's heart, and so on. Just be sure to talk about it all afterwards.

More about relationships in Foyle's War:

• In "The German Woman," the husband of the murdered woman is devoted to his wife, Greta, even though she is German while England is at war with Germany. Other characters in this film are deluded (and wrong) about their romantic choices (no spoilers here).
  • Milner, one of the main characters, is disabled during the war (loses his leg). As a result of this, his wife (Jane) scorns him, humiliates him, and finally leaves him. More than two years go by without a word from Jane. Milner he begins a romance with Edith, an old friend. Then Jane returns and wants to come back to being his wife. This part is a bit complicated, but I don't want to spoil it for you. When you watch this episode ask yourself, How would a man abandonned by his wife because he lost his leg defending his country feel after several years had gone by without even a word from her? There are other Foyle episodes that deal with spousal betrayal and the effects of war, some with surprising outcomes. I think it can get the ball rolling to talk about how people change, why commitments should remain, and what to do in times of extreme crisis (e.g., war).
  • Christopher Foyle -- Well, what can I say? He's so solidly sane, during all this chaos, but he always has this silent hole -- his deceased wife. I don't think they ever even mention her name (I don't remember it), but she is very much a part of the series. She is always there with him, but you never see her. It's an interesting portrayal of a man who does "go on" with life after being widowed, but his other half is not there to go on with him. You feel Foyle's LOSS. You feel his sense of memory -- not morose brooding, just that the past held his dearest friend and love and soulmate. She is gone, while he is presently stepping forward to face the day as best he can. He is so soulfully heroic and human in this. You just get the sense that there is a deep well in him.

I just love Foyle. Can't you tell? ;) FWIW, if we had sons we would watch these films with our older boys (say, 15 and up). My husband and I enjoy these films, we just wish there were more episodes! HTH!

Edited by Sahamamama

I just love Foyle. Can't you tell? ;) FWIW, if we had sons we would watch these films with our older boys (say, 15 and up). My husband and I enjoy these films, we just wish there were more episodes! HTH!

More episodes are currently in production. From Anthony Horowitz's blog

This summer has also seen the completion of the new series of Foyle’s War. The last time I blogged, I mentioned that it might be the end of the road for Foyle – and I was a little horrified to see the story picked up by the tabloids. So let me say here that no decision has been made and I have no idea if I’ll be writing it next year or not. What matters is that the new series is really, good I think. Really well directed. And interesting stories including the Russians in England, segregation in Hastings and a weird organisation called the British Free Corps (British soldiers in Nazi uniforms). If you live in Suffolk, watch out for a charity screening this October, at the cinema in Aldeburgh. I’ll be there!

I love them too and I am really excited!

We absolutely LOVE Foyle's War and have seen every episode at least 2-3 times. As far as romance....

Let's see -- Sam (female lead character) begins a relationship with Andrew, the son of her boss (Foyle), but Andrew is sent away to a flight base and the relationship deteriorates. Andrew breaks up with Sam through a letter, the jerk. Sam tries to be stoic and move on. Later, in the last episodes, Andrew comes back into the picture and sort of apologizes to Sam. My husband and I had a long post-movie discussion about this episode: Would THAT apology really be enough to heal the wounds? Would Sam really just shrug and say, "Righto, tickety-boo, pip-pip, Cheerio?" We thought not, but then again, we are not Samantha. I think that if you are considering watching these with your oldest son, there could be some GREAT lessons in films -- How to treat a young lady during a courtship/date. How to end/break off a relationship that isn't going to move forward without breaking a young lady's heart, and so on. Just be sure to talk about it all afterwards.

More about relationships in Foyle's War:

• In "The German Woman," the husband of the murdered woman is devoted to his wife, Greta, even though she is German while England is at war with Germany. Other characters in this film are deluded (and wrong) about their romantic choices (no spoilers here).

• Milner, one of the main characters, is disabled during the war (loses his leg). As a result of this, his wife (Jane) scorns him, humiliates him, and finally leaves him. More than two years go by without a word from Jane. Milner he begins a romance with Edith, an old friend. Then Jane returns and wants to come back to being his wife. This part is a bit complicated, but I don't want to spoil it for you. When you watch this episode ask yourself, How would a man abandonned by his wife because he lost his leg defending his country feel after several years had gone by without even a word from her? There are other Foyle episodes that deal with spousal betrayal and the effects of war, some with surprising outcomes. I think it can get the ball rolling to talk about how people change, why commitments should remain, and what to do in times of extreme crisis (e.g., war).

• Christopher Foyle -- Well, what can I say? He's so solidly sane, during all this chaos, but he always has this silent hole -- his deceased wife. I don't think they ever even mention her name (I don't remember it), but she is very much a part of the series. She is always there with him, but you never see her. It's an interesting portrayal of a man who does "go on" with life after being widowed, but his other half is not there to go on with him. You feel Foyle's LOSS. You feel his sense of memory -- not morose brooding, just that the past held his dearest friend and love and soulmate. She is gone, while he is presently stepping forward to face the day as best he can. He is so soulfully heroic and human in this. You just get the sense that there is a deep well in him.

:iagree: What an accurate summary! Great job. ;)