Menu

Singapore users who also use RightStart....

Rainbows

I was hoping to use Singapore as our main math program, but I really like the idea of the abacus in RightStart as well as the use of the other manipulatives. Is it worth it to get the whole RightStart program and use it along w/Singapore, or would the Abacus and Abacus activity guide be enough?

This would be for my first grader who likes math (and will later be used by my youngest son)

I would love just to buy all the programs Im interested in and try them out, but Im trying to be good :D

(just wanted to add, I liked Singapore Earlybird, but I do feel like its lacking something, not sure what exactly. I guess I just want to give DS a really solid start with math)

I'm not sure what is in the activity guide, but I think you could get the abacus, math card games book and the cards (for the math games). These are all the games in the RS program, they can easily be added to any math program, and the best part is kids like them (at least mine ;).)

I think Abacus and ALABacus book would be enough. It would give you the feel for RS and their basics.

I used RS A-C with older dd. I own or have looked at every page of Singapore EB through level 4, and also have the HIGs for level 2a and b. I did Singapore EB with both dc in preschool, and Singapore 1A so far with younger ds. IF you get the HIGs for Singapore, you will be getting methodology very similar to RS. I really like Singapore. If you need more handholding, RS tells you day by day what to do. I loved RS A and did it with both dc in kindergarten. I did not feel that the Singapore EB books were very worthwhile, more preschool level, IMO. If you were dying to try RS, you could get B and it would have all the same content as A but it moves along that material faster and then gets into more advanced stuff. But B was weird-they start with learning the number one and by the time you're done they're supposed to be adding 4-digit numbers in their head-WAY too much of a stretch and we hit a wall partway through, and so did a lot of other people. I really liked the abacus and you could teach that with the activity book. Even for Singapore, be aware that it moves right along and you may need to be prepared to "camp out" in an area for awhile to make sure they're solid before moving on. Another great thing you can do rather than buying the full RS program is get the RS Math Games book-fantastic resource-it's one of the math resources I would not be without.

I have been on the record on here before saying that RS as a whole was NOT good for us-dd did not learn her facts and is still trying to catch up (now a rising 4th grader.) It jumps around a lot and doesn't review enough for what we needed. Now we do a spiral program (CLE) and supplement with thinking math (Singapore, MEP) and lots of neat math supplements, and that is going much better. Also check out the Living Math website-I think you will like it!

Another thing: if you are itching to try something pretty similar to RS's methodology, look online for MEP math-a free math program that is very similar to both Singapore and RS as far as thinking math. I have used portions of 1 and 2 and I love it! There has been a lot of favorable talk about it on here, so you can search old posts.

Yes! I would get the math games kit and then get the Alabacus Manual. You don't need the whole RS curric. Just pull out the concepts from the manual as you meet them in Singapore.

RS games are much more fun than plain 'ole flashcards and timed tests!:D

thanks so much

So which abacus book do I need? (there are 2.....activities or worksheets)

I think I might try that and the math games kit

I do feel like part of me wants to try the complete curriculum, but I have read several people say Level B moves on at a funny pace and that worries me

We are using RS as a supplement. I have

AL abacus

Activities for the AL abacus - teaches how to work the concept on the abacus

Worksheets for the AL abacus - worksheets that line up with the activity book

Games box which includes manual and cards

We are loving it. I can easily look up in the activity book which concept i want to reinforce or teach then copy the worksheet and choose a game if need be. I don't think you need the entire program.

I respectfully disagree with all of the previous posters. The Right Start math program is outstanding, and the games book is not anywhere near the same as the full program. Please try Right Start "B" for your first grader. My 10-year-old has gone through the whole program (he started with "B", which goes through most of "A" just at a faster pace) and it has been the best curriculum of any in our homeschool career.

He still sees "7" as five with two. He doesn't have to count his cards when he plays cards! (I believe he sees the five as three and two, but I'm not sure on that.)

But I guess my response is predictable. We are RS users who supplement with Singapore!

Julie

I did this instead of acceleration. I believe RS has led them into more profound thinking about math, but I like the workbook aspect of SM because the games became time consuming so we didn't always get to them even though we love them.

During the stage of math fact acquisition we also supplemented with other types of workbooks (spectrum, Dorling Kindersly, Math Minutes, etc.) and Flashmaster in addition to the two programs. Using both programs can be done, but it takes alot of time. I think it has been worth it.

The hands on geometry of RS has been a big hit with my building addicted Legomaniacs. For me, I have personally enjoyed the many "mini-epiphanies" that I have experienced throughout the program.

HTH :001_smile: