Menu

History Curriculum Redux

Verity

Hey ladies -

After my initial survey of curriculums I had decided to use MoH 1 along with SotW as my guides. I ordered and received MoH and after looking through it I'm not comfortable with the way some ideas are presented, mostly it's the Young Earth perspective. I hadn't really ever heard this perspective and didn't understand how that would influence vital lessons on the ancient civilizations. After long discussion with my husband (and many others) I need to sell this book and am back to looking for another curriculum guide that would support my 4 year cycle (ala WTM) and teaching a 2nd grader and 5th grader at the same time. Glancing at MFW I suspect that curriculum is also using the Young Earth model. Any other ideas?

I still plan to use the SotW and want to integrate bible history into our studies (especially matching the egyptian histories and old testament, etc) but need something that is a little more secular in the discussion of early civilization. Does this exist?

TIA!

Ok, went there and realized that I did check them out initially. I like the structure what I don't like is that they separate the ages into three different books so I would a) have to buy level 1 for the 2nd grader and level 2 for the 5th grader and b) it looks like they wouldn't be aligned and able to study their history (including the wonderful, but time-consuming read alouds) together.

Have you looked at mosaic? http://bringinguplearners.com/mosaic-myths-maps-and-marvels/

Have you looked at A child's History of the World? Calvert has a guide to go along with that.http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/section-test/7/282-a-childs-history-of-the-world

There is also Sonlight, but it isn't a 4 yr cycle. You might could do their Ancient history and then you can switch back to mystery of history once you get past all the debated dating in Ancient history in order to stay on the 4 yr cycle.

Oh free sounds good! lol I'm looking at Mosaic now...

I like the looks of ToG but even trying to find it on Ebay it's super pricey and I've already allocated alot of my budget to MUS and other parts of the curriculum. Thanks for the great links and suggestions!

Ok, went there and realized that I did check them out initially. I like the structure what I don't like is that they separate the ages into three different books so I would a) have to buy level 1 for the 2nd grader and level 2 for the 5th grader and b) it looks like they wouldn't be aligned and able to study their history (including the wonderful, but time-consuming read alouds) together.

I am using HO and SOTW for year 2, and I am also teaching grammar and logic. Do you have the activity guide for SOTW? I plan on using SOTW as per TWTM for the youngers and HO for the older. I am trying to rearrange HO lessons to SOTW chapter order.

If you did the same with ancients than you wouldn't need level 1 (and from what I understand the topics don't match up anyway between levels 1 and 2).

I would just get the SOTW Activity Guide.

How does MOH integrate Young Earth into Ancient History? I wouldn't know how to do that.

The discussions about dinosaurs on the Ark, the idea that the Ice Age began after and as an effect of the Great Flood. The disbelief in any kind of cave men (neanderthals). Undoubtedly these are smallish areas and the kids might not even notice but my oldest is really into dinos and dragons and I think he would dwell on this part alot. Without reading every lesson with a fine toothed comb I don't know where else this kind of issue will crop up later. I'm definitely stressed - thus why I'm up at almost 2am! argh.

I'm guessing now from my research that this is pretty common stuff and info can be found at various websites mentioned throughout our forums. I don't mean to stir anything up, we teach our children about the bible and God, but I don't want to try to teach them history that I don't agree with (alongside my Dh).

Thanks for replying. I am sorry if you feel that I am "stirring it up". I was wondering how the timeline would work, as so many civilizations in SOTW are at 5,000-3,000 years BC.

Oh no I didn't think that you were stirring it up, I was hesitant to bring my whole issue here because I don't want to offend and being new to the boards not familiar with any past or present points of contention. I was referring solely to myself as the "stirrer" in question. hehe

Ok -

So I also think that I have Biblioplan on order - not sure how that would fit in...

and to complicate matters more I have a recommendation from a family friend to check out memoriapress.com and their way of doing classical education (which varies a bit from WTM). Any experience with either of those, oh wise ones? :D

Still looking at mosaic and like alot about it - just printer intensive and I would want to remove the literature selections since I think I have better ones lined up. (hehe that English Ed degree should be worth something!)

then add to it as you see fit! Nothing else is needed to do history, imho. Add historical fiction/picture books, videos, online games, field trips; memorize dates & people - and IEW Ancient History Based Writing.

Michelle,

Thanks for the response. I had seen IEW but not really looked at it and I love the idea of matching up writing to history. I'm a little confused about the various programs and which handle grammar, writing, spelling, vocabulary, etc... whatever else or some combination of the above.

Currently I have in my hot little hands FLL 1 and 3 (with workbook for 3) and Classical Writing Primer (for 7 year old) and Aesop (for 10 year old). I understand that I don't need a grammar program specifically for my younger son, narration/copywork is a good foundation for him. For my older I'm not sure if I have it covered with these programs or not, I'm still looking through them.

Feedback appreciated! :)

It is fairly easy to add Bible history to a timeline. The dates are actually calculated from the Bible itself. There are scriptures that line it up based on the lifetime of each father and his age when he fathered children. The dates for Adam, Noah and Jesus are central points to hang the others. If you want my dates based on this information, I can dig them out of my curriculum for you.

One of my testers is lining the Greenleaf OT guide with SOTW and is very happy with it. And there are links that line up children's Bibles with SOTW. Have you seen those?

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Did you look at the try before you buy for History Odyssey? I looked at both the level one and level 2 and feel that using the level 1 with all of my kids 9,8, and 6 will work for the 4 yr cycle. It even says that some have used the level 2 successfully for high school. I plan to use the level one as well as the SOTW activity guides. I think it is plenty for a 5th grader.

Just a thought. We are going to do a term of MFW Adventures before starting with our history cycle. I was concerned about young earth as well, but I think MFW is set up where you can read and discuss it according to your beliefs. I will know for sure after we try it for Adventures.

I think going through the level 1 and then level 2 will be plenty for my oldest daughter. The level one uses SOTW and CHOTW or maybe it is abbreviated CHOW (Children's History of the World) and both have been recommended in these threads. I downloaded the try before you buy and there are 12 weeks worth of lessons (everything you need except the spines) and after going through it I really feel it will be enough for my then 10 yr old 5th grader after we finish our curriculum for this year.

Edited by OpenMinded
typos

One of my testers is lining the Greenleaf OT guide with SOTW and is very happy with it. And there are links that line up children's Bibles with SOTW. Have you seen those?

i'm the tester of whom carmen speaks ;)

i'm about halfway through the SOTW and the Greenleaf Guide process. i started by using the guides for the Egermeier Bible on paula's archives {link, carmen?! i'm still in the UK without my bookmarks} and am adapting it to fit the bible story book we have (the DK Ill Children's Bible) .... and then realized that the egermeier guide isn't straight biblical timeline .... frustrating but i guess i'll debunk it when i return to that project :) :) :)

i'm not a young earth person (or at least i lean away from being that) .... but i have purchased two books to incorporate to our BIble Studies and/or History studies called "what really happened to the dinosaurs" and one about the ice age that i can't remember the title of .... that i THINK approach it from old earth, but i don't know. anyone have any insight into that?

BUT that's an aside b/c honestly there's not much IN the SOTW that talks about HOW history started .... it just starts from the standpoint that there were early civilizations and what going back in time really means. there's nothing specifically Young Earth or New Earth about it....usborne books that you use in conjunction are DEFINITELY secular, and i find i have to (or will have to) act as a filter for my kids on the actual dates they talk about ....

is all that jibberish?! sorry if it's longwinded and boring. i was just wanting to help b/c i've spent an INORDINATE amount of time thinking through this matter this summer!!!! IN.OR.DIN.ATE!!!!!!!!

Mirandi! I have missed you! http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/SOTWmenu.htm Here is the link.

Did you look at the try before you buy for History Odyssey? I looked at both the level one and level 2 and feel that using the level 1 with all of my kids 9,8, and 6 will work for the 4 yr cycle. It even says that some have used the level 2 successfully for high school. I plan to use the level one as well as the SOTW activity guides. I think it is plenty for a 5th grader.
Good point! The activity books that HO uses are actually more geared toward 3rd-6th grade. SOTW AG is 1st-5th. Unfortunately, you don't have number of pages scheduled for a firm booklist of books that are easily available, but a lot of people prefer that at one time or another.

I actually clicked on this thread b/c we are down to not using SOTW at all and only reading picture books that catch our interest. I thought about making up a schedule with a "reduced" history program like that. lol

Edited by Lovedtodeath

You could look at carmen's(lovedtodeath) signature line and click on her ancient explorations curriculum that she wrote. It would be an option for your 1st grader. I just wasn't sure how to combine it with your 5th grader, which is why I didn't mention it. It looked to me that Biblioplan's timeline was young earth from what I could tell last night when I was looking at it for you.

You could look at carmen's(lovedtodeath) signature line and click on her ancient explorations curriculum that she wrote. It would be an option for your 1st grader. I just wasn't sure how to combine it with your 5th grader, which is why I didn't mention it. It looked to me that Biblioplan's timeline was young earth from what I could tell last night when I was looking at it for you.
Verity, I have lost testers, so if you want to try it out without charge, let me know. I am not sure how I will be changing it for a 5th grader... I do have ideas for some different literature selections, an additional spine and that activity guide (Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors) for grades 3-5, that I can give you but I haven't really thought about it in depth yet, as I need to finish up the first level. I think that adding IEW's writing program is a great idea, if your 5th grader is up for it.

Michelle,

Thanks for the response. I had seen IEW but not really looked at it and I love the idea of matching up writing to history. I'm a little confused about the various programs and which handle grammar, writing, spelling, vocabulary, etc... whatever else or some combination of the above.

Currently I have in my hot little hands FLL 1 and 3 (with workbook for 3) and Classical Writing Primer (for 7 year old) and Aesop (for 10 year old). I understand that I don't need a grammar program specifically for my younger son, narration/copywork is a good foundation for him. For my older I'm not sure if I have it covered with these programs or not, I'm still looking through them.

Feedback appreciated! :)

IEW Ancient HBWL covers writing & vocabulary (love those vocab cards!) which is tied to history - you have CW BUT you could use IEW Ancients too (grade 5 not your younger dc).

For grade 5, we used Rod & Staff English - again CW covers grammar with Hake, I believe.

We used IEW Phonetic Zoo for spelling in grade 5.

HTH! :D

I had to quote it. I am shameless. :tongue_smilie:The lulu downloads are free for the next 23-36 hours or so. I was too lazy to email them. lol. Hope you like it. The booklist is for the full 36 weeks, The Story of Buddha will be required, not optional, and Miranda the Great will be added. Oh, and I need to get my book on the website lol! will do that and update you.

you will LOVE ancient explorations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

three cheers for carmen!

hip hip hooray

hip hip hooray

hip hip hooray

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We're doing SOTW III this year with our co-op. You can do history with just this book if you use a few other resources. Take a look at the enrichment curriculum we're using this year -- we will upload all our worksheets and resources as the year progresses. It may be helpful. You can use the curriculum as it is, or you can use it to see how we set it up.

Hope this helps.