Menu

Kidney Tables...does anyone have one?

farmwife

Hi all! I know I should probably post this on the general board but I thought I would try here first.

I have really been seriously thinking of getting one of these for teaching my children together. Does anyone know of a good place to order/purchase one? Shipping is really expensive, do any teacher stores carry them in stock?

Am I just crazy to even think of getting one?

http://mywhiteboards.com/kidney-activity-tables.html

we don't have one, but I think anything that helps with your school day is something to consider. The only thing Id do is make sure it has adjustable height so you could get years out of it

Im trying to convince DH to get a kids sized table b/c DS is currently working at the kitchen table and complains that its too high

We just got one from samsclub.com and we LOVE it (free ship). I also purchased 2 2-drawer plastic storage containers for underneath the flat sides (on either side of me) for my math manipulatives/science equip/etc.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=130099

The storage carts are similar to this, but 2 drawer & no wheels:

http://www.target.com/Sterilite-3-Drawer-Plastic-Cart-Wheels/dp/B000AV3R90/sr=1-2/qid=1248283262/ref=sr_1_2/191-9424423-2008069?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Asterilite%202%20drawer%20cart&page=1

Edited by babysparkler

I was attracted to all the interesting shapes school tables come in when I first started homeschooling, but now that my dd is older, I'm sure glad we just got a plain old rectangle. :) But definitely, highly recommend school tables. The adjustable legs, the high density laminate top that cleans like a dream, the sturdiness you can stand on... (oh, I didn't say that!) I got mine for under $150 from a school supply place. It was a reject from a big order and in their clearance area. I also had a kindy chair that we were able to use for a couple years. Then we went to a regular rolling chair. They have them now, the student size, at your office supply places and probably walmart, as back to school/college stuff.

The reason a rectangle is so great is because it lets you rearrange. I've reorganized my room tons of times, and it's crazy fun, adds some variety to your life. Sometimes I put two tables together and make an island. Sometimes I put the table perpendicular to the bookshelf, use the bookshelf to hold my ready access tm's, and then have her face the chalkboard. When she was little our table was opposite the futon, because we did a lot of read alouds. You just don't know how you'll want it in the future. A normal shape like a rectangle is so much more flexible.

If your kids are older or you have multiple kids, you could put two tables together and form a big island. Then you would sit at the head and they would each have places around. Or make those tables face walls and put milk crates with books inside to form divider cells. Or make a T with two tables. It's nice to have that flexibility.

Just my two cents! :)

I think it'd be cool to have an adjustable-height table! I saw a rectangle one on our local yard sale website for $30 from a woman who used to run a daycare in her home. Maybe you could check out craigslist or something like that, too?

On the other hand, it's always a safer bet to buy new, especially when you're looking for a piece that will last!

I'd buy it if I had the funds :)

We just got one from samsclub.com and we LOVE it (free ship). I also purchased 2 2-drawer plastic storage containers for underneath the flat sides (on either side of me) for my math manipulatives/science equip/etc.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=130099

WOW! That's pretty cheap compared to some of the ones I have seen. The other websites listed at least $100 for shipping seems a bit excessive to me. Shipping included sounds wonderful!

I'll have to talk to farmer about this. ;)

Edited by farmwife
rewording a sentence that sounded confusing

I was attracted to all the interesting shapes school tables come in when I first started homeschooling, but now that my dd is older, I'm sure glad we just got a plain old rectangle. :) But definitely, highly recommend school tables. The adjustable legs, the high density laminate top that cleans like a dream, the sturdiness you can stand on... (oh, I didn't say that!) I got mine for under $150 from a school supply place. It was a reject from a big order and in their clearance area. I also had a kindy chair that we were able to use for a couple years. Then we went to a regular rolling chair. They have them now, the student size, at your office supply places and probably walmart, as back to school/college stuff.

The reason a rectangle is so great is because it lets you rearrange. I've reorganized my room tons of times, and it's crazy fun, adds some variety to your life. Sometimes I put two tables together and make an island. Sometimes I put the table perpendicular to the bookshelf, use the bookshelf to hold my ready access tm's, and then have her face the chalkboard. When she was little our table was opposite the futon, because we did a lot of read alouds. You just don't know how you'll want it in the future. A normal shape like a rectangle is so much more flexible.

If your kids are older or you have multiple kids, you could put two tables together and form a big island. Then you would sit at the head and they would each have places around. Or make those tables face walls and put milk crates with books inside to form divider cells. Or make a T with two tables. It's nice to have that flexibility.

Just my two cents! :)

Thanks for the wise counsel, I'll have to think on that. I know a rectangle would be far easier to move out of the way, which would be nice. I appreciate the input!:)

I have a horseshoe shaped table. I found it used on craigslist for $100. It was in perfect condition, other than a few crayon marks under the table! It looks like this:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=158618&pCatg=7003

The one I have is definitely "school grade" - made to last and take a beating. So I definitely think a good quality adjustable height table is priceless, if you can afford it.

I had been shopping for awhile for a schoolroom table and was contemplating/saving for the purchase when I found that table. I was a teacher in my previous pre-child life and loved being at kids level and having a large workspace to spread out on. I do like the horseshoe shape that I got because I can lean over and reach either of them easily without even getting out of my chair ;), and I use the sides "next" to me for my books/stuff. So the table itself works really well for us.

But I do agree that a rectangluar table works best in regards to room configuration. I am very limited in where I can put our table and it does require a lot of room "around" it for things to function smoothly. And even if a kidney or horseshoe table will work for you now, a rectangular shape will be the most practical should you ever move or want to repurpose it.

Having said that, the kidney shaped one posted a few replies up is a good deal! And I love that is colored - mine is that woodgrain look and while it's ok (esp since I found it at such a good price used) my preference would have been to have a colored table :)

I know Lakeshore also carries them, but at least at my local store, you have to order it (they don't have them there in every shape/size to look at)

I got 3 school tables for $2 each and 3 student chairs for $1 each at the local school district surplus department. You have to clean them up a little bit. I repainted the chairs. They have all different kinds of tables and chairs that they no longer use. Some of them are still in good shape. You may want to try calling your local school district.

Previously I got a school table and 4 chairs from a school supply store and I spent about $400 on all.