Menu

Has anyone finished FLL and switched to Rod and Staff?

Mogster

We are making the transition this year to R&S 5 and I'm hoping it will be a smooth transition. Does anyone have any advice on how to make this a smooth switch? There is SO much writing in R&S -- not just with the actual writing assignments, but with the daily lessons as well. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

It was a very smooth transition. The writing really isn't that much. Mostly short answers, but sometimes whole sentences. But anytime it has been too much for ds, I would do the exercises orally. Actually R&S helped him be more comfortable with writing, even though he complained sometimes.

HTH,

Sherri

My oldest uses R&S, the youngers will transition from FLL to RS5 but we haven't gotten there yet. Oldest went from FLL1&2 to RS3.

One thing that helps with the writing is that I purchase the worksheets and use those instead of the oral and written exercises in the book. My son started working independently with R&S in the 4th grade book. He reads over the lessons and does the worksheets - I grade. Every once in awhile there will be as lesson where he does the oral exercises with me. I also combine lessons if they are review. If he does poorly on a test (rarely) then we will go back and do some of the written exercises in the areas he did poorly.

At the end of the year, the one thing that we had to work on most was diagramming!

As fas writing assignments, I have heard of parents applying the lesson to another subject area, rather than using the topics in the texts. I plan to do this next year when possible.

We transition to R&S 3 from FLL in 3rd grade. We do most of the R&S text orally. I do use the corresponding R&S worksheets so my children have some practice with writing out their answers. Also, we skip all of the "writing" assignments because we use a different IEW for writing.