Menu

flip video recorders - anyone have one? which model & what else to buy?

I am a techno-idiot.

A friend said these little video recorders are super. We are going to be doing some speech this year, and I thought it would be fun to record ds doing his speeches and then let him watch it back. He is 12 and we purcased our camcorder when he was born, so it is completely antiquated. I thouht ds might like using it as well.

However, looking at amazon there are several models - HD, "regular," mino (?)

I would be willing to go for the HD, but probably not the mino even though I can't really tell what the difference is - it just seems to cost more.

I also can never tell what accessories one needs. I am assuming a case. Do you need a USB port for the computer? It reads that there is a cable for the tv that is included. And it looks like the regular one needs batteries, but the HD doesn't???

Can anyone help me out a technological moron?

TIA!

About a month ago amazon had the white flip video ultra series 30-minute camcorder on sale for $49. We scooped one up at that time. My dd has made countless videos since then. :001_smile: It is incredibly easy to use, very compact and fun. It uses AA-batteries, so it is very simple in that regard (and the batteries have lasted very well). You'll need a little practice keeping it steady since it is so easy to move it around quickly to film everything. We LOVE ours and are very glad we got it.

About a month ago amazon had the white flip video ultra series 30-minute camcorder on sale for $49. We scooped one up at that time. My dd has made countless videos since then. :001_smile: It is incredibly easy to use, very compact and fun. It uses AA-batteries, so it is very simple in that regard (and the batteries have lasted very well). You'll need a little practice keeping it steady since it is so easy to move it around quickly to film everything. We LOVE ours and are very glad we got it.

I'm so glad to hear you like it! When you posted the deal, I bought it for ds9's birthday. He turns 10 tomorrow. I've been worried about the battery use, and am glad to hear they last. Do you use a specific kind?

We have had one for about 1 1/2 years. It's cute, fun, and super easy to use and upload. My only complaint is that you can't zoom. DS loves it, and uses it all the time. I would recommend it for kids/teens that want to make videos, but not for parents who want to capture home movies.

I'm so glad to hear you like it! When you posted the deal, I bought it for ds9's birthday. He turns 10 tomorrow. I've been worried about the battery use, and am glad to hear they last. Do you use a specific kind?

So far, just the two duracell batteries that came with it. :001_smile: And dd has made MANY videos. We are very pleased, and I think you and your ds will be as well.

I do think it is great for the kids--so simple and seemingly durable--but we have made some precious home videos with it, too. It does not zoom, though, as RJH said, so it would not be optimal when recording performances and such. But it works fine for around the house fun. Dd often attaches it to a tripod to record her many stories. And, because of the attached usb port, transferring the video to the computer is super easy.

It was DS's birthday gift this year. It cost $199 at Best Buy.

It's perfect for DS's use. He makes tons of videos with friends. He plans out the stories, comes up with basic script, finds props, etc. The videos are pretty funny!

The Flip couldn't be easier to use, just point and shoot. It really doesn't zoom though, just a tiny bit. The sound is good, the picture is good, although you do have to really try and hold your hand steady.

It plugs right into the USB port on the computer, you don't even need a cord. It has its own software installed, no CD or disk to worry about. DS does a lot of editing, and has really enjoyed the Flip. It comes with a little carry bag, not a hard case. We don't have any accessories, although I suppose a case would be nice, it hasn't been necessary yet.

I wanted the simplest video recorder for DS, and the Flip fits the bill. It has provided him lots of fun, a creative use of his time, and was handy when we went on vacation.

Michelle T