Menu

Speaking of teens with ADHD ...

I am trying to figure out HOW to structure the day for my daughter. She is starting high school and is very easily distracted. She can stay on task if it is a subject that interests her. I know I need to be more structured with her since I know she can't do it herself. I just feel very overwhelmed by the whole thing.

What have you tried already---as in diet, medication, lifestyle changes, etc?

What type of school program are you using--unit studies, traditional textbooks, a worktext program, or ???

Does she have any learning disabilties or delays?

I guess the more we know the more we can help.

Honestly though, medication here made about 90% of the difference and then we could work on behavioral things from there.

I am trying to figure out HOW to structure the day for my daughter. She is starting high school and is very easily distracted. She can stay on task if it is a subject that interests her. I know I need to be more structured with her since I know she can't do it herself. I just feel very overwhelmed by the whole thing.

:iagree: The number one help with my daughter is medication. THe second best thing is scheduling to the medication cycle. SHe is most attentive earlier in the day so we do the subjects she needs most attention to first- amth and science. That is followed by Spanish, which she has difficulties with. The subjects she doesn't have problems with and need less attention are done later- history, history of music, and English. I also have given her a timer and instructed her to set it for every 10 minutes when she is working alone so that every ten minutes she verifies to herself that she is actually working rather then daydreaming, playing games, reading something else, playing with the cat, etc, etc. But most important of all is the medication for us.

Agreeing that we really probably need more info ---but one of the things that came to mind, and it may seem harsh, but as a high school student your dd is going to have to be the one to help come up with a plan and be held accountable to it. Now, as a freshman you will want/need to have more guidance/input if you've been the one to set the structure up until now --but certainly by the Jr/ Sr year the dc needs to be the one getting herself organized, staying on task, following through on assignments, etc. Otherwise, if she plans a post-secondary education she will be at a total loss - even in the job field if she needs someone to structure her time/assignments she will be at a huge disadvantage.

Agreeing that meds are a big help here too ---in fact with one kiddo we couldn't make it without them. Some other things we did with oldest ---we worked on how to study --study skills that would help him break a task down and organize and plan; organizational skills ---we offered all kinds of suggestions, went to shop for different ideas, etc. but it was something he had to figure out for himself so that he would use it; Setting check-in times ---if Spanish is from 8:30-9:30 then she checks it off a list as completes and takes a break to let you know it's done; then moves onto number 2, etc. Scheduling the courses that needed the most focus during the hours when he is most attentive.

Honestly though, medication here made about 90% of the difference and then we could work on behavioral things from there.

2nd. Meds for my daughter were life changing. For me too (her meds and mine).

We also have done extensive dietary changes (feingold, GFCF, organic, high protein, mostly raw blah blah blah). Not helpful. We stick with just a healthy diet and eat mostly organic b/c for me, it's the right thing to do. We eat lots of produce, some high quality animal protein, some junk (more than I'd like).

What was problematic? dyes seem to be moderately problematic and some yellow dyes have triggered asthma attacks.

What's helpful? meds! but also sufficient magnesium and inositol are noticeably helpful. She takes additional supplements (calcium, D, p5p, 5-mthf, zinc, multi).

Before I used meds for my ADHD (which had been severely problematic since 6th grade), I was able to get relief - as an adult - by about 50% taking the following:

SAM-e (400 mg first thing in the am)

sufficient D (1,000 IU per 25 lbs body weight)

sufficient zinc (about 30 mg per day *for me* in addition to dietary zinc)

sufficient iron (about 10 mg iron bisglycinate)

_Depression Free Naturally_ is a great book. While it doesn't address ADHD specifically, it's the best primer for learning about orthomolecular meds for all mental health issues.

I'd start looking at the ADHD books....ADDitude magazine is incredible. I love it. CHADD has a great book on teaching ADHD kids. Chris Dendy has a great book on ADHD teens.

Some ADHD 'coaching' might be in order if she's motivated.

:)

K

Music is great for focusing, but try classics. Another great one that has been researched is gregorian chants. My niece used these and said they were cool and helped.

Fidgets, whether it be clay, squishy toy, anything she can squeeze. Also, gum.

Schedules are a great thing to start incorporating. Big whiteboard or chalkboard with clear and concise instructions. A lot of these kids require intense structure.

Hope helps