Menu

Skipping levels in Saxon

Soph the vet

This is how we handle the start of the year (and its actually suggested by Saxon if you go year-round): We only take the assessment tests until the grades fall below 80%. We can usually get past most of the first third of the book that way! I would do this even if we didn't go year-round.

Hope that helps!

We do skip, but I go over some questions orally just to make sure that they know certain concepts. It has taken a lot of pressure off of me to start at say lesson 25 rather than one as I know we will finish the book even if we take days off. I also end the school year w/another program--usually MUS.

Laura

No skipping.

Every problem, every book.

If they are "that strong" in math, they can do double lessons daily on the book you wanted to skip and finish it up in 60 days, that's 10 weeks, do math on Saturday. And then you will be back on track to the Next Book anyhow.

Likely, you will find that, well, it wasn't "that easy" of a math book after all, so it's a good thing you didn't Skip it. ;)

There are only 120 math lessons in a Saxon book. 180 school days, or more like 220 if you do math on Saturdays too.

You can easily finish 3 books in 24 months this way, do math six days a week for a month in the summer too.

:Seeya:

This is how we handle the start of the year (and its actually suggested by Saxon if you go year-round): We only take the assessment tests until the grades fall below 80%. We can usually get past most of the first third of the book that way! I would do this even if we didn't go year-round.

Hope that helps!

I did similar to this. We did a TON of skipping in 76. We bypassed most of the beginning chapters and then at the end of the book for the last 40 or so chapters I gave him the assessments tests. He scored 90 and above for all of them, so I just did mini-lessons on the concepts that he missed on the tests. For a gifted math student, Saxon has way too much review and the steps in the spiral are way too small IMO.

Edited by babysparkler