Menu

Do I move to Europe and have my dd go to an American school for high school?

I don't have any idea what to do. My dh is AD AF and they are desperately looking for certain positions to be filled in a few years. He is well suited for one posting since he studied the language for 2 years in college and it is my first language. However, we would start training in the Spring of my middle's senior year and actually probably go sometime in that one's first year at college and the younger's first year in high school. Now my youngest is wanting to be an engineer but she is an extrovert and I feel I probably would need to send her to school so she would meet other kids. That would give her sports and activities that she wouldn't get otherwise. She also would get IB classes. Now if this was a school with great scores, I probably wouldn't be asking these questions. The thing is that the SAT scores for the school aren't that high -only slightly higher than average and though they have IB classes for 11 and 12 grades, those test scores aren't great either. I am also not sure how they would handle her need for higher science and math classes either since they only about 250 high school students. The school also wants three years of records which would include this year but I am at a loss on how to make an elementary record. I know what to do about high school but elementary or junior high records I don't. Dh hasn't decided whether to volunteer or not but volunteering for it might be better than getting forced to go to another place non Europe where neither of us know the language and worse schooling choices abound. The other problem is that I would have to go to a 12 week school and it might be diring the school year when I am supposed to be schooling wither a 12 grader and an 8th grader or just the then ninth grader. Any advice?

For you 8/9th grader, can you get a list of what IB classes they will be teaching so you can find out if they offer classes at a high enough level for what she wants/needs? Even if she graduates with the IB diploma that should be enough to get into a college, she just may need to take an extra class or two at college level in math/science to get past the placement tests. What other kids SAT's scores are, don't really matter. I know the level of instruction is important, but since you are used to homeschooling, it won't be hard to work with her a little at home to make sure she is getting what she needs. Plus she has the huge advantage of living in another culture. That is a big advantage in life, to learn about world travel and other cultures, from within the culture. Her language skills in that language will inevitable blossom as well...another advantage.

For you older...how independent is she? Can she finish her sr. year with very little input from you? Most seniors can, so if you haven't worked toward making her independent, you can spend the first part of the year doing just that. Does she already have a college picked out? If she doesn't, is there an option for her to go to college where you are going to be based? She is fairly young, and wouldn't even be dis served buy waiting a year for college to go with you and immerse herself in the opportunity to travel/live abroad for a year or so, before formal college. She could take some classes abroad, or just continue homeschooling for a 13th year. I know a lot of homeschoolers do a 13th year for various reasons.

How formal of a transcript do they want for elementary/mid school? Can it just be a basic report card with the subjects listed and either a grade or a pass/fail? Try not to over think it and just do the minimum of what they need. Sometimes simple is best.

Good luck on what ever you decide!

But, I graduated high school with a class of 68. I took every math and science class offered, which took me up through pre-calc. I still got a full scholarship to a state university and graduated with an engineering degree. Dh went to a much bigger high school and graduated with an engineering degree from the same university as I did. I can't see that his background gave him an advantage over me. I will say that I had an EXCELLENT math teacher, who gave me a solid grounding in the fundamentals. I also read a LOT.

Plus, I think that you've already laid the groundwork for your daughter. As far as SAT scores go, the school will only be polishing off what you've already done. If you see any glaring deficiencies, you could do a little afterschooling/summerschooling.

I also think living overseas would look great on college applications. Especially, if your daughter will have a chance to learn the language and experience the culture.

Edited by snickelfritz

Yes, I am thinking it really may be for the best. We loved living in your the last time and we did homeschool there. But we were at a base with enough Americans for a homeschool group and plenty of activities like Boy Scouts and CHapel youth group for our older children. Here we would be at the Embassy and no base at all so I don't think homeschooling a social child would work. Her outside activities there would be similar to ones she has here- band, swimming, soccer, debate maybe, but there all those activities are through school. Looking through their catalog, the course look thorough enough for me. I don't know what school records involve in pre-high school years. DO you think that it would be copies of standardized tests and report cards (which I haven't been doing for my children before high school but I guess I can dream something up)?

I meant we loved living in Europe last time. We were there from 2003-2206. If we go this time, it would be probably 2012-2015. Dh has to decide if he wants to go away again from science for so long. But the other issue is that he may be forced to go away from science and end up in North Dakota where I know I would be miserable.

Europe is wonderful for a teen and will give her opportunities to distinguish herself on her college applications. As an engineering major, it is a plus to have shown that you have some experience with other cultures, as you likely will be working with people from other cultures throughout your career.

I went to school on base in Europe back in ancient history; the need for more was handled by the instructor's ability to group and differentiate. I was in a group of 2 or 1 most years. Had the same deal when on return to the states. Both schools were small - no more than 10 per grade in Europe and 90 in my US public high school. I was well prepared for my state's engineering college despite the lack of a formal honors track in either school. The nice thing about small schools is the flexibility. I have a relative that did high school at Seoul American...had an easy time recently at RPI in Elec. Eng.

>>The thing is that the SAT scores for the school aren't that high -only slightly higher than average and though they have IB classes for 11 and 12 grades, those test scores aren't great either.

The same can be said of the district I"m in now. Yet there are still students that earn National Merit Scholarships and go to highly selective colleges. Most of them do take online courses though, since this district doesn't offer math higher than Trig on campus.

I assume you know how the IB works? She could always do 4 higher level courses and just two at standard level if you are concerned with the level of work. I will say this though, I did the IB and I was MUCH better prepared than my friends in college. I would check with the school which subjects were offered. I am not sure which country you will be going to but there might very well be a school in the area that offers the IB that is larger than the one you are considering. They might offer more courses. That said the IB program I went to was small (I was the third graduating class) and we were offered 3 sciences at either higher or standard level, Maths at three levels, English and Swedish, economics, and psychology at higher or standard level and history at higher level. I know that the school now offers more options as well as they have grown. This is by way of saying that even a small school might have many options.