Menu

Did your path in life follow your parents plan for you?

Have you followed the path your parents laid for your life (if they laid one)  

1. 1. Have you followed the path your parents laid for your life (if they laid one)

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I've been reading the threads about expectations of adult children. What I find fascinating about them is peoples certainty that their children will follow the very set path that is being laid down for them.

I know my husband and I have not followed the paths our parents set. The path my parents set was very like so many of you seem to be planning for your daughters, I did not follow it, I did not continue with their religion and I did not wait until marriage to have teA and children.

So I thought I'd start a poll. But of course feel free to comment :)

My parents didn't set a path for me. If they "hoped" I was something in particular, they didn't say that. I think the only thing they ever voiced in that regard was "do something you love" and "if you marry, marry your best friend."

I am doing something I love and I did marry my best friend, so maybe I did what they hoped for me.

Edited by Audrey

Not even close. My parents saw me doing a 4 year degree program, working in a professional field fulltime, married, 1-2 kids, returning to work quickly after each born. Instead I dropped out of college, worked in daycare for 20 years, had 4 kids and have been separated for 8 years, and a stay at home mom. I have heard all about wasted potential etc for the last 10 years, and my mom still tries to impose her plans on me for what she thinks I should be living.

HaHa. Most definitely NOT. They had plans for me to go onto college, get a career and all that because now a days women don't HAVE to sit at home pregnant and barefoot anymore. Fast Forward to now, that's exactly what I did, stayed home and was barefoot and pregnant all the time. 12 kids so far. But I think they love me anyway!!:001_smile:

LOL, not even close. My being a Christian is the first big difference--not that they hoped I wouldn't be, but I don't think it'd be their first choice. They are BIG on women in the workplace and career advancement, and I did that for a while. Now that I'm home with kids--homeschooling, no less--it's not what they saw for me. My mom is VERY into public education, soooo.....I guess I'm kinda the opposite of what they envisioned:tongue_smilie: