Menu

Basil is planted. Basil is growing. Um, now what?

Seriously...do I just pick leaves off at will? Do I pick leaves and stems? I want to be able to make pesto -- lots of it. How do I deal with this herb? I have no idea how one takes the leaves/stems off!!!!!

Well, I can't help you with the pesto--I've never made it. I prefer to use basil fresh, though I do dry it, too, when I have enough.

I pick a bunch of basil above a growing point (several lower leaves). I try not to pick parts with thicker stems--mostly just nip the leaves off by snipping their little stem with kitchen shears or my fingers. If it's starting to get too bushy I take a larger bit and discard the stems. Then I rinse the leaves and chop them up and cook with them.

If I dry them I hang them by the stems in a brown paper bag.

Oooh, I have a good way to preserve it. Get some ice cube trays, chop up a whole bunch of basil leaves, fill each cube with the leaves, then fill them up with olive oil and freeze it. When it's frozen, remove cubes from tray, put in ziploc bags and store in freezer. Then, just throw in a cube when you're making soup or calzone filling or sauces. It's great!

Once it gets nice established, you can begin picking. You want to go down at least 3 or 4 leaves below where it looks like it will bloom. Pinch off the stem. Then pull off the leaves (discard the stem) and wash them well. Probably multiple times since little bugs can hid easily. The pinching at this point on will encourage the plant to branch out.

I would use a food processor to combine just olive oil, garlic and basil (and/or pinenuts) to make pesto. Then you can freeze what you don't use. Add the cheese to the finished pasta/pesto dish, because the cheese won't freeze well.

you can also make herbed butter with it....soften butter with your hands and add chopped basil or other herbs to it; shape back into a log and roll in wax paper and freeze. I do this with tarragon b/c it's such a poor dried herb; but it's really good with other ones, too. I'm going to do it with my lime and lemon basils this year. If you let your basil plant grow flowers, you can save the seeds and have basil seeds for next year!