Menu

Dream with me: 1/2 day Art school

ooh that would be cool. My dd would love that. Heck, so would I :D A church just put on a 2 week art camp and she loved it.

Are you thinking like once a week all year long? I'm not so much into the music and drama part but the art part....I would have fun with that. I would do something different each day - collage, different paints, gesso, different art projects like making books, atcs, mini-matchboxes, etc.....

You might look at Master's Academy of Fine Arts, as one example of how that's done. It's a half-day program for home schoolers that offers history, art, music, and drama, with the history following a six-year world history cycle, and the art, music, and drama coordinating with the history studies. We were involved at one campus for a couple of years, and it was a really wonderful experience. (Obviously the individuals involved as teachers and directors make a huge impact, and I can only speak of the campus where we were involved.)

That's the set-up for elementary students, btw -- the set-up for middle school and high school is a bit different, but still is a half-day per week of fine arts instruction.

Taking some of what you learned in the art portion and turning it around to make scenery in the dramatic productions you were part of. Creating plays on the lives of famous artists and musicians. Studying architecture and making models. Setting Powerpoint presentations of famous artwork to appropriate music. Exploring international music styles. Viewing the Metropolitan Opera's version of The Magic Flute and studying costume design. Learning about ad design. Seeing a production of Shakespeare's. Attending the symphony. Visiting the Japanese Garden and discussing the elements of design pertaining to landscaping.:001_huh: I guess you wanted practical suggestions,eh?

Taking some of what you learned in the art portion and turning it around to make scenery in the dramatic productions you were part of. Creating plays on the lives of famous artists and musicians. Studying architecture and making models. Setting Powerpoint presentations of famous artwork to appropriate music. Exploring international music styles. Viewing the Metropolitan Opera's version of The Magic Flute and studying costume design. Learning about ad design. Seeing a production of Shakespeare's. Attending the symphony. Visiting the Japanese Garden and discussing the elements of design pertaining to landscaping.:001_huh: I guess you wanted practical suggestions,eh?

I wanna come to school at your house! LOL :lol:

I'm watching this thread with great attention. There's a meeting for our hs group to plan the upcoming year this weekend. I won't get to go, but I was thinking about calling one of the moms and having her make a suggestion for me. I was thinking it would be great if we could get together on a regular basis and do something with music and art for hte elementary aged children. So I'm :bigear:

I"m thinking explore different periods of history (in different cultures too) and the music and art of that era. Explore different forms of art, put on plays learn about costumes and the stage, learn to read music and maybe play an instrument (simple instruments like the recorder, triangle, wood blocks), sing folk songs.

You might look at Master's Academy of Fine Arts, as one example of how that's done. It's a half-day program for home schoolers that offers history, art, music, and drama, with the history following a six-year world history cycle, and the art, music, and drama coordinating with the history studies. We were involved at one campus for a couple of years, and it was a really wonderful experience. (Obviously the individuals involved as teachers and directors make a huge impact, and I can only speak of the campus where we were involved.)

That's the set-up for elementary students, btw -- the set-up for middle school and high school is a bit different, but still is a half-day per week of fine arts instruction.

I was going to post this as well - They seem to be opening new schools in different parts of the country.

The times of the classes would be right after lunch, right after school, and in the early evenings.

It would be multi age.

The children through about age 9 would have a Waldorf-y approach to music and art--color study, water color, natural materials, high quality drawing instruments, pentatonic harps, recorders, etc.

Beyond that, as follows:

Art would include the Monart approach, some sculptural techniques including Fimo, clay, and soap carving, painting, and block printing. Art history would be an option as well.

The drama classes would teach everyone a work of Shakespeare each semester, and present it in its entirety at semester's end. The director would be creative about sharing parts so that everyone could participate.

Music would use the Kodaly approach with maybe a little Orff thrown in--choral works and folk songs would predominate.

offering art, drama and music.

What would it look like?

Okay Laughing Lioness, now that you've got our interest piqued, can we ask what your ideas are?:D I'm supposed to be packing for a camping trip with 6 kids but I have to keep checking back on this thread.

I didn't get down to the specifics as far as the kids. I would just like enough live bodies to actually put on a play.

Edited by swimmermom3
typo