Menu

How do I know if....?

What I want to know from other home schooling mom's is simply this....how do I know if my children are getting enough? Sometimes, I have no doubt that they are and then I speak with a friend who's child is in public school and it seems that they do so much of what I don't. We do poetry, Latin, Spanish, ancient history, and even stuff in the house, like cook, clean, take care of baby sister and brothers...life skills...but then I have that tinge of doubt like I am leaving something out. How do I know that they are at the reading level they should be at and that we are doing enough writing projects, etc...? Does it really matter? Am I over reacting? Has anyone else had these similar thoughts? I want to do what is best for them and I believe in my heart that this is what I was called to do. Any feedback would be appreciated... thanks so much for listening....erin.

If you are concerned about grade level, there are plenty of tests you can give to determine that (Iowa, etc.). Keep in mind that while the ps kids are doing all these things, you can't judge how well they are doing them. You might want to think about what percentage of the class is actually learning the skill at the level you deem adequate.

I used to worry about that, but later realized that if ps had such a great program, then why were they turning out so many kids that had trouble reading, writing, and couldn't find basic things on a map. Yes, if the ps program was able to truly provide the learning listed on their scope/sequences, it would be an awesome program. But that is what they are shooting for, not the reality they are able to create for all students.

I second the recommendation for the Iowa test. I start giving this to my kids at the end of third grade, and then every year there after. It helps me see if there are any weak areas that need more work, or if there are things I have forgotten to teach entirely, like library skills. (oops!)

We have to do some kind of year end assessment in Ohio anyways, so I use the Iowa test.

My phonics tutoring keeps me from having those types of worries!

I have reading grade level tests you can use to figure out their reading grade level. The NRRF test is the better of the 2 grade level tests I have, but its grade level scores are 1 to 2 grades below current public school norms (they are based on norms in the late 1800's when phonics was taught well.) The wide range test is not as good of a test and will score 1 to 3 grades above grade level for grades 4 and below and at grade level or 1 grade above for the grades above that.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

You can use the placement tests for any big math program as a grade level test.

By their ages they should be able to read just about anything--if not, they should do my phonics lessons and Webster's Speller.

There is just no possible way to do it all.

I try to be grateful that the public school down the street does so many cool things for the children served there. As long as we're offering our children a rigorous well-rounded education, we're doing our jobs and we must be content in that.

Of course, my perspective rises from the discussions I've had with the neighbor mom with children in public school, where we both say to one another, "That sounds SO cool, I wish my kid had time for that!" Every once in a while I have an attack of anxiety: "Is it enough?" And then I remind myself that I am doing a bang-up job educating my children and that we love what we do.

Cat