Menu

Whoa! Our governor is pregnant!

even if all is well physically, I cannot imagine giving birth one day, and leaving my sweet little bundle with a caregiver (even dad!) to go to work the next.

It just doesn't seem right to me, or something that should be held up as a shining example.

I do give her kudos, though, for managing to carry on and not have her pg noticed for so long, especially since she is in the public spotlight a lot. Heck, it's been 12 years, and I still look pg! :eek:

Hopefully I haven't opened the proverbial can o' worms here. Maybe someone here who's btdt can enlighten me, since I tend to only see things through my rosy sahm glasses.

even if all is well physically, I cannot imagine giving birth one day, and leaving my sweet little bundle with a caregiver (even dad!) to go to work the next.

It just doesn't seem right to me, or something that should be held up as a shining example.

I do give her kudos, though, for managing to carry on and not have her pg noticed for so long, especially since she is in the public spotlight a lot. Heck, it's been 12 years, and I still look pg! :eek:

Hopefully I haven't opened the proverbial can o' worms here. Maybe someone here who's btdt can enlighten me, since I tend to only see things through my rosy sahm glasses.

I don't particularly agree with leaving a little one either; however, I am trying very hard to let others make the decisions they feel are right for their family and to concentrate on my own family. I don't want everyone scrutinizing the decisions I make. So I need to allow others to live their lives. If I have nurtured a relationship with someone and I feel they could use some counsel, only then am I free to speak. (Much easier said than done, I tell you!)

Have you ever read the bio of Maria Von Trapp? Turns out, she was on tour in the U.S. when she was expecting her youngest child. She had a dress maker fabricate larger - ahem - chest padding. She would just strap them on as her other area grew larger, and it simply looked as if she was gaining a LOT of weight.

One of her concert reviews mentioned, "The portly Mrs. Von Trapp". Hah!

Thought y'all might enjoy this. . .

I don't particularly agree with leaving a little one either; however, I am trying very hard to let others make the decisions they feel are right for their family and to concentrate on my own family. I don't want everyone scrutinizing the decisions I make. So I need to allow others to live their lives. If I have nurtured a relationship with someone and I feel they could use some counsel, only then am I free to speak. (Much easier said than done, I tell you!)

I understand what you're saying. That's why I said I

could never do that. Having said that, I don't understand what the payoff could be, that's why I sincerely asked for enlightenment-not for a debate, but I'd really like to know.

I understand what you're saying. That's why I said I

could never do that. Having said that, I don't understand what the payoff could be, that's why I sincerely asked for enlightenment-not for a debate, but I'd really like to know.

I don't understand what payoff there is either because I have seen the negatives when I have worked and the priceless positives of me staying home. (This is actually quite a hot button issue for me on the side of mothers staying home.)

I hope someone can give you some feedback on the working side.

I thought it was a little . . . um, optimistic? Bordering on the irresponsibly optimistic? about how quickly women can get back to work. She didn't just make it sound like that was her life, her choice--she made it sound as if it were completely normal, that pregnancy and childbirth were a non-event in the working woman's life.

"Normal" women (or maybe it's just me) aren't physically able to do that. I hate for her to be so (unintentionally?) dismissive of the need for basic recovery time. When I read her comment, I felt like a failure for taking the full six weeks even to recover, much less start work again.

I only felt that way for about two minutes, but it was a harrowing two minutes there!