Menu

Starting Latin in 5th grade?

Rebecca

Dear Hive,

Do you think it is okay to wait until 5th grade to begin Latin Studies?

This coming year I will have fourth, third, first, and K. My rising third grader will not be ready for Latin this year. If I wait until next year- I can teach it to both my fifth and fourth graders together... thus eliminating another level of individualized instruction. I might even be able to place the then second grader (late birthday) in the program as well.

I really like to looks of Latin For Children.

What do you think?

We might be switching math programs for this coming year- and really need to focus on math.

Thanks,

Rebecca

I didn't start Latin until fifth grade with my older son and he was able to complete up through high school year two by the time he was at the end of his ninth grade year. I just played around with Latin during elementary with my second son and only started in earnest this past year, in fifth grade.

Dear Hive,

Do you think it is okay to wait until 5th grade to begin Latin Studies?

This coming year I will have fourth, third, first, and K. My rising third grader will not be ready for Latin this year. If I wait until next year- I can teach it to both my fifth and fourth graders together... thus eliminating another level of individualized instruction. I might even be able to place the then second grader (late birthday) in the program as well.

I really like to looks of Latin For Children.

I think it will be fine. We started Latin early (like probably 1st grade for my oldest), but it's not necessary. And if a later start allows you to feel better about how you're using your time, that's very important.

We love Latin for Children! My kids find the DVDs very entertaining.

Tiffany

I think one can begin Latin at any "elderly" stage that fits ones school program. (My view, in other words, is that it absolutely does not matter when one starts Latin, so long as one studies some eventually !)

I taught myself some Latin (using my mom's high school book) when I was 9 or 10, then studied no more of it until college. Similarly, I started "learning" -- (I use the word ever so loosely.) -- Spanish in grade 2 of the publics. Not until 7th grade was the teaching remotely serious. (But whoa boy, was it rigorous for my grades 7-12 !)

My dd begins Spanish for grade 5. Influenced by my own experience of knowing Spanish very well before starting "serious" Latin in college, I believe that taking two years of Spanish (grades 5 and 6) will lay the good foundation for her adding Latin in grade 7.