Menu

Looking for ideas for filler time

Tanya in KS

Looking for ideas for filler time for a 3rd grader & 6th grader. They have 1/2 hour blocks to complete their work and sometimes they get done early. I would like to give them a list of ideas to work on but nothing that would take them a long time.

I have some file folder games for 3rd grader but would like some more science & history ideas.

Thanks for your help!

They have 1/2 hour blocks to complete their work and sometimes they get done early.

Is there a reason they can't just move on to the next thing? Unless I am misunderstanding you, it sounds like you are looking for busywork, like they have in schools.

Tara

• 2 years later...

I just discovered cross section books for my boys and they are fascinated with the books. Other science books that they enjoy work well too. I like those as they are free time and learning. I struggle with trying to reward with free time for efficiency but I also don't want them playing legos all day between subjects.

Another favorite of our is the leap pad talking globe, we play the find the country and since it's a competition they think it's a game, my 8yo is learning so much geography that way.

Hope it's okay to reply to an old post I thought others replies had great info and I thought I share of some of our successful ideas.

I have mine read. We use a great deal of literature that coincides with history. As well, I order Studies Weekly. They are newspapers that you can get for any subject/grade. Comes with a TM, worksheets, and activities in the newspaper, like a crossword.

For us ....

World History

I have health and science too. I use the health, designed for six weeks, with the library to explore topics. We are creating a notebook that is more of an interactive-smash mix that has pictures, lapbook elements, and journaling (summary/narration).

History songs.

We sing when we have time left over, and if you want to reinforce history, you could look for songs with historical content.

This week we worked on two songs (by John Lennon and Bob Marley) that made for good history discussion.

Laminate some blackline maps (by continent or whatever), and have them fill in as many countries as they can, or capitals, or physical features, etc. Even if they have to copy from an atlas, no problem.

ThinkFun games like Chocolate Fix, Solitaire Chess.

Tangoes.

GeoPuzzles. They can even do those together.