Menu

Singapore Standards Ed

djsmom

We did level 3 last year in the SE and did not get the extra practice books or tests. I tend to use the review sections in the textbook as tests. The extra practice workbooks (presuming they are like the ones for the US edition, I haven't looked yet) are exactly that---extra practice of the kind found in the text and workbooks. We haven't needed those for the entire books. I have in the past needed to pull a few worksheets from the web or other sources for very targeted topics in which my daughter was having problems and have done that instead.

I haven't gotten the HIGs yet, but plan to get the one for 4A when it comes out later this summer. It's simply getting to be a lot of material to have to do all the problems myself to check the answers.:)

So you did ok without the HIG for level 3? I was going to get it, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford it by the time I need to start.

Yes, we were fine. It just took a while to work through the problems myself to make sure she had the correct answers. Now I have read a lot of threads that highly recommend the HIGs, and I realize that by never having seen them, I may well not know what I'm missing in terms of additional teaching suggestions, etc;). I know some folks have said that the HIGs for the SE are even better than the ones for the US edition and I know that the US HIGs are highly regarded.

I ending up not using the HIG for most of the year even though I had them. I found when I used just the text and workbook my explanations and activities worked better for my daughter, instead of my wording things and using the HIG suggestions. This was for 1A/1B. I still ordered them for 2A and B this year just so I have something to fall back on if I need to.

NOelle

I'll be using level 3 also. I want to get the HIG's because I've read so many great things about them...mainly on this board. And I need help "thinking" the Singapore way. I'm hoping the HIG's will help in accomplishing that.

For those of you using the Singapore Math SE, do you recommend also purchasing the tests? what about the Extra Practice workbook?

We're doing 2A&B this year. I did not get the tests. The Standards edition seems to have a LOT more review spread out throughout the book. I give my son a review or practice section and use it for assessing whether he's mastered the material or if we need to do more practice. (No grades at this age.) I give the online placement tests as end of book tests.

We used the US edition last year for 1 and I didn't feel it had enough practice with some basics (even with the IP books) so I supplemented a lot with extra workbooks.

This year, now using Standards edition, I got the Extra Practice. I think that by using it, I'll need additional supplements a lot less and I may not use the whole book. (We're doing IP and CWP.) I like the similarities to the text so I don't have to flip through additional workbooks to find what matches.

Unless you have a need for tests, I wouldn't get the test book. Depending on how much drill you find necessary, you may want the Extra Practice though. I'm using ours... though I debate whether I'll get it for the following year. Got a bit of time before making that decision though :lol:.

The Standards edition seems to have a LOT more review spread out throughout the book.

We used the US edition last year for 1 and I didn't feel it had enough practice with some basics (even with the IP books) so I supplemented a lot with extra workbooks.

I keep seeing reviews like this and it makes me so tempted to sell all of my US editions so that I can get Standard editions.

Jan

Thanks everyone, I think I'll pass on getting the tests but still considering Extra Practice.

I do have another question though...are there more problems per page in the SE workbooks than there are in the US Editions?

I noticed on the Singapore website that the SE workbooks for level 3 have something like 40 more pages than the US ED workbooks (am I right about that?), SO that got me wondering if there are not only more pages but also more problems per page. I like the fact that the US editions only have a few problems on each page.

Thanks again:)

I'll be using level 3 also. I want to get the HIG's because I've read so many great things about them...mainly on this board. And I need help "thinking" the Singapore way. I'm hoping the HIG's will help in accomplishing that.

This is wise thinking in my estimation. We are only in Standards Edition Level One but looking ahead I see how important it is for a parent to understand the Singapore model if ones child is going to derive the benefits of the program.

And the HIGs "round-out" the math program, so it's not just workbooks. And they provide a parent with information they ought to know (of the sort the highly teachers in Singapore are expected to understand) but that one could easily "miss" otherwise. Plus suggestions for activities that are quite useful and fun.

Bill

Thanks everyone, I think I'll pass on getting the tests but still considering Extra Practice.

I do have another question though...are there more problems per page in the SE workbooks than there are in the US Editions?

I noticed on the Singapore website that the SE workbooks for level 3 have something like 40 more pages than the US ED workbooks (am I right about that?), SO that got me wondering if there are not only more pages but also more problems per page. I like the fact that the US editions only have a few problems on each page.

There were a fair number of problems per page in some sections, but I don't know how much of that is from moving from US to SE and how much is that level 3 simply ramps up the number of questions because of the material (particularly in the addition/subtraction/multiplication/division areas). When we were considering moving to SE, I looked at level 3 in both of the editions side by side for 3A and I don't recall noticing any big discrepancy in number of problems per page. This was in the textbook, can't remember for sure if I also looked at the workbook.

The page increase is partially from a glossary of math terms in the back and the addition of the sections on probability and data analysis, none of these being in the US edition.

And the HIGs "round-out" the math program, so it's not just workbooks. And they provide a parent with information they ought to know (of the sort the highly teachers in Singapore are expected to understand) but that one could easily "miss" otherwise. Plus suggestions for activities that are quite useful and fun.

Thanks Bill! I am so encouraged by this bit of info.