Menu

What to use for Bible?

I had a hard time finding something--so I decided to let ds read the Bible for devotions (using One Year Bible), and focus on apologetics, theology/doctrine, and missionary studies.

Maybe you could do the same? You certainly use the Bible in those areas, but it's not actual Bible study. We went thru Paul Little's two books, Know Why You Believe and Know What You Believe. We also did a world religion study. Both incorporated scripture. Lastly, we used Memorize This, which has a devotional-type approach to memorizing scripture.

Another idea--if you have a girl, Kay Arthur and Beth Moore have excellent Bible studies. (There are guys that use them, too, but Beth Moore, in particular, is very woman-oriented)

I've heard the Dallas Bible Studies (from Rainbow Resources) are good, too, and lots of folks also use the Explorer's study (at the right level).

Tell us what you choose--I'd be very interested.

I like Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods: Twelve Ways You Can Unlock God's Word.

This book describes twelve methods with which to study the Bible. Three of the methods intertwine together in a way that very much reminds me of the study methods in TWEM. These three are: book survey, chapter analysis, and book synthesis. The book also describes and lists many different types of study aids, such as dictionaries, concordances, encyclopedias, etc.. It also gives examples of how to set up your study pages on lined paper.

I had searched and searched specifically for something that would not spoon feed someone else's interpretations of the Bible, and something that made me dig for my own answers, as TWEM does. This is what I found, and I was thrilled to have found it. It is not a fill-in-the-blank book. It is designed to get a person thinking and processing about what he/she is reading.

Oh, it also emphasizes application in each method.

We do a couple different things for “Bible†through the high school years. They aren't specifically what you are looking for, but they might give you some other ideas to consider.

Apologetics:

A Handbook of Christian Apologetics, Peter Kreeft

Old Testament Survey:

A Survey of the Old Testament (Hill and Walton)

This is what we are doing this year. Each of my students has an ESV Journaling Bible in which they write a one sentence summary of each chapter of the OT as they read it. The “text†has a few very good questions relating to each book of the OT; they aren't “application†questions, but neither are they just regurgitating what was said in the chapter.

Hermeneutics:

The Language of God (Crabtree, Crabtree, and Julian)

Tina in Ouray, CO

Living by the Book by Howard Hendricks

Grasping God's Word by Scott Duvall and Daniel Hays

Both teach excellent methods of Bible study; with application. The student is walked through exercises which use the techniques taught, and then the Bible is his text. These would be used for a few weeks at the beginning of the year (like How to read a book is a la WTM), and then set aside for the Bible. Both include sections on how to study the different types of literature.

Hendricks has a video series, which would be well worth it if your church library has it available. He is an old man, but entertaining.

Grasping has a student manual, but it is completely unnecessary - just use a notebook to write in.

If you made me choose which would be better for a high schooler, I would choose Hendricks. I like his style and method better. However I think Grasping is used in some colleges (I think we received it free as a possible college textbook).

One of my children has done two Precepts studies this year in co-op. I like it so much that I'm going to use it with all of my children next year. His teacher has been going chronologically through the books of the Bible so they have done Joshua and Judges this year and *may* finish with Ruth (kinsman-redeemer study). These are the adult studies. The teacher modifies it slightly by supplying some definitions or dividing one-day into a two-day lesson. It's a middle school class, though my 5th grader is the one doing it.

I like that Precepts has meaningful contextual and application questions. And I LOVE that Precepts teaches Bible study skills.

HTH,

Lisa