Menu

Victory Drill Book

hmschooln

Okay I had been looking at purchasing this thinking it would be a good thing for my ds but when I looked at the sample pages online it looked like it was mostly simple one syllable words is that right? Can anyone who uses this or has used ot give me some information on it? I'm trying to find something that can help ds read larger words. Thank you.

The VDB is a fantastic resource for building fluency! You can use the book through the 8th grade! The words get more difficult and the reading goals per page increase (kindergarten goal is 30 words per minute and 8th grade goal is 130 words per minute). Some of the words at the end of the book: independence, superintendent, administrator, magnificent, reproduction etc.

I went to the dollar store and bought some trinkets and candy and put them in a treasure chest. Whenever my kids met their goal for the page, they could pick a prize. They LOVED this! If you didn't want to spend money, you could use tickets for rewards (stay up late, movie night, no chores day, etc.).

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know there are bigger words. What about the worksheets, what are they like? Are they needed? Helpful?

I bought the teacher's guide and even the previctory drill book - don't waste your money. I don't think I've used the teacher's guide at all except to learn that a child should not miss more than 4 words per timing and for the recording form. The form is not necessary - you can simply record the page number, number correct, wpm, date etc. on a notebook page. I never bought the worksheets. Seriously, all you need is the little blue VDB, a digital kitchen timer, some sort of reward system and a piece of paper to record their time/page # on and you'll be set!

The book gives some instructions to parents on the first couple of pages and lists the goals per grade level. I did not use it as a spelling or phonics rules program- although you can use it as such. Each day, we spent 3 minutes on the book - (3 one minute timings). There are 5 columns per page, so we would vary our starting place for each timing. When your child is first starting out (especially if reading is a difficult subject for your child) I would just do one timing and then have dc try to beat his/her own time- instead of trying to meet the goal for the grade level. After my child was doing fairly well in the program, we switched to the grade level goals. If my ds missed more than 4 on any of the timings (even if speed goal was met) he could not get the reward for that page. In order to meet goal, no more than 4 words can be missed on any of the 3 timings AND the average of the three timings had to meet or exceed the goal for his grade level. Although I didn't require it, my children often spent a lot of time in the evenings practicing their page so they could get a prize the next day!

I bought the teacher's guide and even the previctory drill book - don't waste your money. I don't think I've used the teacher's guide at all except to learn that a child should not miss more than 4 words per timing and for the recording form. The form is not necessary - you can simply record the page number, number correct, wpm, date etc. on a notebook page. I never bought the worksheets. Seriously, all you need is the little blue VDB, a digital kitchen timer, some sort of reward system and a piece of paper to record their time/page # on and you'll be set!

The book gives some instructions to parents on the first couple of pages and lists the goals per grade level. I did not use it as a spelling or phonics rules program- although you can use it as such. Each day, we spent 3 minutes on the book - (3 one minute timings). There are 5 columns per page, so we would vary our starting place for each timing. When your child is first starting out (especially if reading is a difficult subject for your child) I would just do one timing and then have dc try to beat his/her own time- instead of trying to meet the goal for the grade level. After my child was doing fairly well in the program, we switched to the grade level goals. If my ds missed more than 4 on any of the timings (even if speed goal was met) he could not get the reward for that page. In order to meet goal, no more than 4 words can be missed on any of the 3 timings AND the average of the three timings had to meet or exceed the goal for his grade level. Although I didn't require it, my children often spent a lot of time in the evenings practicing their page so they could get a prize the next day!

I think that's exactly what we needed! Thank you for the detailed info! It is greatly appreciated!! :001_smile:

We have had excellent success with the VDB as well. Again, I bought the entire package but have used nothing but the actual book. The worksheets, cd, etc. were all a waste of money for us. It really does wonders at increasing fluency.