Menu

"We didn't start the fire" - history compliments of Billy Joel

MIch elle

This is enough history for a full year's study - enjoy - both videos are worth watching :D :

http://www.teacheroz.com/fire.htm

Enough for a high school or college paper -

Why does Billy Joel say,

We didn't start the fire

It was always burning

Since the world's been turning

We didn't light it

But we tried to fight it

I'm off the look up Walter Winchell, Rosenbergs, Panmunjom, Santayana, Malenkov, Prokofiev, Roy Cohn, Dien Bien Phu falls, Starkweather homicide, :tongue_smilie:

This song came out when I was in the 7th grade. Our class had a big assignment on the lyrics and we had a test at the end where we had to give a brief explanation of each thing listed. It is the thing from high school history that I remember most vividly. I actually plan to use this in a couple of years when we are studying modern history, Thinking maybe of having each kiddo maybe string together events that have happened in their lifetimes to create a new version of the song. Thanks for sharing this!!

Oh, thanks! We too had an assignment in school (senior year) where we had to identify why things were included in the song. 20th century world history has always been my favorite, anyway. :)

out of college & planning my wedding in 1989!

You must have had a great history teacher!!

That is a really good question. I'm curious as to what it means. I'm thinking on the lines that history has always been since the beginning and no matter how much we try to change or try to learn from it we are still doomed to repeat it. Am I on the right track?