Menu

Explorers

swellmomma

I am planning out my history program for next year and have a quick question. At what point if at all did you cover explorers? We did a bit of ancient history last year and next year plan on doing American/Canadian history, using Sonlight and Winterpromise, but everything seems to focus on the Natives and then the colonies etc but not the actual explorers and their trips to discover North America. Is this covered at some point in SOTW, or is it something that you guys typically add in on your own if at all? I am jsut deciding if I should be scheduling sometime to cover this or wait until we come up through the 4 year history cycle after we cover North american history

As I recall, WP AS1 used the Maestro book on Explorers but not much else. American Crossings covers it a bit more as they use the Time Travelers cd on the Explorers. I'm still trying to make my own plans for history next year and am a bit scattered in the process right now, so I'm really not qualified to recommend anything.:) However, I think if I were in your shoes, I might just add it to the beginning of the year. I highly recommend the Time Traveler's cd, particularly if your family is into hands on projects at all. Of course, you could cover Explorers without it. Just my 2 cents.

Woolybear

I'm actually going to do a month on Explorers this summer, before we get in to SOTW 3. SOTW 2 and 3 both cover the exploration of the New World, but I wanted to go a little more in depth. Like the PP, I'm using Homeschool in The Woods' Explorers cd-rom--it's GREAT!

Thanks ladies. I did plan on getting the time travelers explorers CD(also the colonial life one and the american revolution, what can I say we love projects). I think doing it in the summer before starting school is a great idea. I think maybe from Mid August to mid/end of september we will do an in depth study of the explorers and then start up with our cores right after. I would start sooner but I don't get my funding until mid August so can finish buying what I need till then.