Menu

Who uses powdered tempera paint? Is it okay? I need to order art supplies online...

I would like to make a large art supply order and I know the shipping is going to kill me. I was thinking powdered tempera, but I have no experience with it.

Thanks.

Jo

DickBlick has 5.95 shipping and $5 off for orders over $50 by July 7th. But they usually have some similar promotion going at all times. They have great art supply prices.

http://www.dickblick.com/landing/specialoffer/

I don't like powdered paint, I prefer liquid.

If you have a really large order, why not try Rainbow Resources? Free shipping on $150 and higher, and they have tons of art supplies (I order with a friend if I can't make the $150).

I, too, prefer liquid paint, but powder isn't bad. Just make sure you add the liquid to the paint and not the other way around. Also, let it sit for a good 10 minutes before you stir so that the paint can absorb the water. This little trick saved me many minutes of trying to mix paint as a preschool teacher. Finally, you can mix a batch, then pour out what you need--like not feeding directly from a baby food jar, don't paint directly from the mixing container, and you will actually save paint. Refrigeration helps, too--and add a few drops of dish soap to make even washable paint clean up easier (and prevent mold, if you do save some mixed paint).

We move to much, so instead of running the risk having to toss my left over paint, I had the powder and it was fine.

You can control the thickness of the paint for your projects. Somethings need thicker paint.

I used the tempera (mixed thicker) with dishsoap for facepaints for our kids' christmas party last year. I mixed up a lot, because I didn't know how much we'd need. We were still using the left overs months later at my house. But we had the individual cups, with covers, and the color coded brushes, so there wasn't any contamination of colors.

You will read that you can add powdered milk to it to make it creamier, less chalky like. We did that once, HOWEVER it will get moldy, so I don't recommend that. Plus you really don't need to.

Another great place to purchase art supplies, especially for younger students is www.discountschoolsupply.com. I have purchased paints and other supplies from them and they do a great job. We have caked tempera from them. It's nice in that you wet the brush and put it onto the caked paint. Then the paint dries in the cake form and it is easy to store. True, you can't get as many colors from mixing as you can with liquid or even powder, but it easy to use. They also have great construction paper and you can get a sample free when you place an order. It is a small sized pad, about 2 inch by 3 inch with all of their colors in it.

Now for the art intensive student, I highly recommend Dick Blick as other's have. Their paper, paints, markers, etc. are great and they come wonderfully packaged, so there is no worry about the paper getting bent.

I used powdered. Just a quick tip, mix the powder with liquid dish soap rather than water. Otherwise it will stain everything. Mixed with soap it comes out of everything. As for where I buy it, usually from the teacher supply store locally or from scholar's choice or wintergreen(wintergreen is basically the Canadian version of lakeshore learning).

In addition to mixing it up to be regular paint, I sometimes mix things in like sand to change the texture when it is dry. Or I use it to color sand (mix the dry powder with sand), to make sand art etc. Powdered paint has so many applications.