Menu

Adding a 2nd dog, and update on Oscar

Why do we need to get a male dog as our 2nd dog if we already own a female dog? Does it never work to have 2 of the same sex? Understanding they'd both be fixed. We only get rescue dogs.

DH and I have decided that Oscar, the rescue dog we got last Wednesday, doesn't fit well into our family. He's such a great dog though and I know he'll be a great pet for another family. He came in and immediately started dominating Bandit, our female dog that is 5 lbs. smaller than he is (less height and less length). He won't let her anywhere near her own bone and if he sees us giving her any attention, he runs over and noses her out of the way. Even more upsetting is his behavior towards the cats. As soon as he sees them, he barks and runs after them. When we restrain him, whether holding his collar or having him in the crate, his barks still terrify them. The cats' territories are not even safe anymore. Oscar runs into the rooms trying to roust them out. It's just totally different from when we got Bandit. She was indifferent to the cats. When they hissed at her, she just turned and went the other way. We'd like another dog that will be indifferent to our cats. We just don't want to bring a new pet into our home that upsets our other pets.

Usually two females will fight. What you are looking for is a submissive male. One who will let your dominant female remain that way and obviously one who does not want to eat your cats. The dogs really need to meet before you bring a new dog home. You should be able to tell pretty quickly whether they will get along. The other dog should lower his tail, lick the muzzle of your dog, crouch low (rolling over is even better). Dog chemistry is a tricky thing, just like people chemistry,

I do want to say that you may not be able to find a rescue dog that will allow your dog to chew on her own bone. Many rescue dogs have been hungry at some point and a bone lying around would be considered food that it is necessary to guard. Sometimes you can find something that is shareable because the appeal isn't so great - nylabones and those sterilized cow bones are usually okay at my house (I've never had to dogs that could handle rawhide). Sometimes, once puppyhood is over, certain things just need to be put away.

Sometimes, once puppyhood is over, certain things just need to be put away.

Hmm.. the rawhide bone is the only thing Bandit likes to chew on. We've tried numerous bones and toys. We got her when she was 2 and now she's 5. When we brought Oscar home, we had 5 bones on the floor. He just hoarded them though.

We did have them meet at my vet's office. The vet wasn't in, but one of the techs was there. We're familiar with everyone there as we've been clients for 10 years. She told us the dogs would get along fine because Bandit growled and snapped when Oscar tried to put his muzzle over hers. I didn't think about it before, but that should have been a red flag for us, huh? He never gave up. We'll keep searching! It's going to be hard to turn him back over in the morning.

I don't think that is necessarily a red flag. It was an issue for y'all because Oscar wouldn't let up. But USUALLY, one dog shows dominance and the rest find their pecking order. The PROBLEM comes when you get two or more animals that are pretty close to each other on the dominance/submission continuum.

I have an EXTREMELY dominant male and we've not been able to keep certain other dogs in the past because of him. We got the perfect second dog though and it's been wonderful. But they know their place in the house. It was established in the first couple days and that was that.

You'll find that dog. I don't think it necessarily must be a male, but you may need to do some evaluation in regards to size, submission, etc. You'll either need a situation where your female will relent (you can set that up with the right 2nd dog) or that your female is "top dog."

I'm sorry your rescue dog did not work out.

I never understand rescue groups that make this big deal of your dog meeting the new dog before you bring it home. Meeting in a neutral territory is very different than being in your own home.

I adopted a cat several months after our cat died. My kids were about 3 and 6 and the "pound" made me bring my kids to meet the cat. Everything went fine.

We get home and everything is fine for about 2 weeks. Then my daughter tells me the cat attacked her at bedtime. I figured she was mistaken (she was 6) and thought nothing of it. Days later she tells me the same thing. So I hide in her closet at bedtime to watch. She was telling the truth.

I returned the cat the next day. I also discovered that the young cat (supposed to be 1 year old or younger) was actually 4 years old.

Good luck finding a new furry friend!

Also, when I adopted our dog, I read a lot about introductions. I was VERY nervous about them being together. I also took the dog to training right away. A couple of things, I didn't let him off the leash for the first couple of weeks. Second, when I did my husband was the one who forced it. I was nervous. Holding the collar of a dog, I was told, actually revs them. Many don't like a pinch collar, but I use it sparingly. We put it on when we introduced them...and I use it when I walk....

Also, I set up my cat as alpha...doing things like talking to it first, feeding it first, and yet at the time I was walking my dog 3 hours a day because we had to put the fence back up.... He's a great dog and they just snuggle up....

Good Luck!

Carrie

When I got the puppy terrier I brought my 10 yo terrier with us. WE looked at 2 pups: one male & one female. The male pup was aggressive toward our dog and the female wasn't so we got the female. Yes, they have had a handful of fights in the almost 3 yrs we've had both but they are very much buddies now. They had to determine which dog was alpha & once that was determined & they knew what to do around food or treats (stay away from each other) it was easy.

My long ago deceased dogs that lived together were 2 females as well.

Hmm.. the rawhide bone is the only thing Bandit likes to chew on. We've tried numerous bones and toys. We got her when she was 2 and now she's 5. When we brought Oscar home, we had 5 bones on the floor. He just hoarded them though.

And if we do give them bones/rawhides it's in their cages only.

BUT you have cat problems too :confused: