Menu

Lively Latin vs Latin for Children

corbie

We are just finishing Prima Latina. We got through it. The kids actually enjoyed learining Latin, but I really had to work at it with this program. It took us WAY too long to get through it. We have taken a huge break and are ready to get back into Latin, with a different program. The two that look good are Lively Latin and Latin for Children. At first glance, LL looks easier and more fun. LfC looks a little intimidating, however, it gets great reviews, even for younger kids. I'm teaching 3rd and 5th this year. Does anyone have any experience with these two? I really don't want to give up on Latin, especially since they basically seem to like the subject just not the program.

Hi again Corbie.

We did Prima Latina and Latin Christiana before dh decided it was too religious. He didn't like the idea of all the Catholic prayers ds was memorizing.

What didn't you like about Prima Latina that you don't want to continue with that route? I think the sequence goes straight through to Henle, so it is a good program...

But I understand the need for change. lol

Anyway, I have no experience with LL, however we did look into Latin for Children. If you're dc enjoy activity type books, then the activity guides are a lot of fun and help reinforce the lesson. The biggest problem with the program is that there were so many editing errors and addendums. So be sure to get the most recent edition if you go that route. Seriously.

Their website has lesson samples and gives a good idea of what to expect. I personally thought it was too wordy and messy looking, especially after experience with Latina Christiana. The chants in LfC were different in that the lesson was to memorize all four verb tenses per each verb introduced. And there was a lot of vocabulary to memorize for each lesson.

On another note, I do have a TM of Latina Christiana and the LfC Student book and activity guide for sale. If you were interested in looking at them to compare, I could send them cheap.... no pressure. ;)

Jadeone80 - Thanks again! Glad I'm not the only one who can't sleep!

It looks, from your link, that both programs have editing issues. What we didn't like about PL?... It was a little serious and dry. I know, it's Latin! What did I exppect? But, it's hard enough to get to get kids to do Latin. And, I also found it a little too Catholic. Anyway, I think they have years to get serious about it if they want to. I just want to establish a base and an interest. What did you end up going with?

I thought LfC looked a little busy too, but I liked the activity book idea. How much do you want for your LC tm and LfC sb?

We used LFC A last year. It worked well for us, I would recommend using the DVDs. I like that the program is laid out the same week to week and there are built in reviews. We are continuing with LFC B this year.

If you do a search you will find many threads about LL and LFC.

We used LFC A last year. It worked well for us, I would recommend using the DVDs. I like that the program is laid out the same week to week and there are built in reviews. We are continuing with LFC B this year.

:iagree: My DD really enjoyed LfC A this past year. The vast majority of the errors have been corrected in the newest version. I think the website addendum had 3 corrections that I needed to mark in the primer. We found a couple of mistakes in the activity guide. Neither hurt the effectiveness of the program. DD had a lot of fun and picked Latin as one of her two favorite subjects for the year. HTH

And decided to go with Lively Latin. My son really enjoys it. I find everything to be taught thoroughly. There are a few minor typos in the online version, but nothing that isn't easily spotted, and so far I haven't come across any incorrect answers. We print off a lesson or two at a time, and go through a lesson in about 2 weeks. You may choose to move faster or slower, as needed.

We'll definitely be moving on to Lively Latin 2 when we finish :)

We used LFC A last year. It worked well for us, I would recommend using the DVDs. I like that the program is laid out the same week to week and there are built in reviews. We are continuing with LFC B this year. ...

:iagree:

Same here exactly. 10 yo dd LOVES her Latin lessons and has excelled in her studies thanks to the fun approach LFC takes. The Activity book has been quite fun too, not to mention the fun interviews and antics on the DVD lessons.

I've never used or even looked at LL because LFC has been a wonderful fit for our family.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thanks for all the responses. I got LL and love it. Of course, we haven't started yet, but I have printed off more than half of it. It is a breath of fresh air after Prima Latina. I know that is a great program, but it is dry. LL seems fun. Even DH is excited. He's reading it now. It is so complete with grammar, history, vocabulary and geography included. One could conceivalbly base an entire curriculum off this. You would only need math and science. I will update more after we get started. I'm really thrilled that I found something to get us all fired up about Latin again.