Menu

Phonics and reading. Need some advice.

I'm wondering where to go with phonics instruction. We did SSRW this year for 1st grade. We are still having problems with cementing phonics rules and fluency. I was planning to continue with MCP Phonics. But for now, I feel like I need to go back and do some reviewing of 1st grade phonics.

Should I go ahead and stick with my plan of going into MCP Phonics or should I go to OPGTR (starting where we are having problems)?? I keep thinking that I should do OPGTR along with MCP. This would be to start now and keep reviewing until the end of summer.

What would you all do? I'm open to all suggestions!!!

TIA!

Liz in NC

I'm wondering where to go with phonics instruction. We did SSRW this year for 1st grade. We are still having problems with cementing phonics rules and fluency. I was planning to continue with MCP Phonics. But for now, I feel like I need to go back and do some reviewing of 1st grade phonics.

Should I go ahead and stick with my plan of going into MCP Phonics or should I go to OPGTR (starting where we are having problems)?? I keep thinking that I should do OPGTR along with MCP. This would be to start now and keep reviewing until the end of summer.

What would you all do? I'm open to all suggestions!!!

TIA!

Liz in NC

IMHO, SSRW is stronger in phonics than MCP Phonics. Couldn't you continue with SSRW? And I wouldn't think of it as reviewing "first grade phonics;" it would just be something you're continuing to work on.

Honestly, the reason why I am not doing SSRW for 2nd grade is the teacher intensiveness. I'll have a newborn in about a month and I just don't think I'll have the energy to do all the "extras." I want something that I can open and go.

My dd is working on SSRW Level 1 and I'm also going to switch over to something else for the same reason. With 5 little kids, I really need to be realistic at this point in how much teacher prep time I actually have.

Have you done SSRW Level 2? Is it just as teacher intensive as Level 1? I wouldn't mind doing it if it's more open and go than Level 1.

Liz in NC

Hmm, my suggestion would be to try MCP and provide lots of very easy readers to enhance fluency. If at all possible don't take a summer break in reading. Children tend to need the constant review. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to back up and do an easier level of MCP so that there is much review.

Relax and try not to stress over it, the reading will kick in eventually. :)

Have you done SSRW Level 2? Is it just as teacher intensive as Level 1? I wouldn't mind doing it if it's more open and go than Level 1.

Liz in NC

If your dd has not mastered SSRW level 1, I would absolutely not advance to the 2nd grade level. (I really don't like level 2, but it expects mastery of level 1)

I'm not sure how you are approaching phonics while you are teaching, but reviewing level 1 phonics does not need to be time intensive. You can simply review the songs and review the sounds via recall methods. (like the pop the balloon sort of strategy.) You don't need to play all the games, etc.

The way I deal with it with my children is as they come across words they aren't sure about, I remind them of the rule. (For example, if the word is August, I might say, "We see a baby, we say......") You could also make copies of the song charts, cut them into strips and spend time creating vocabulary lists. As she encounters words she can't read, write them down and have her put them under the correct phonics sound and continue reviewing all the words you have added.

Another simple reviewing source is Explode the Code.