Menu

TOG... Dh said to just go ahead and purchase the books...

Can someone walk me through this? I have looked at their demo cd & what TOG provides as far as education looks great, but I'm having trouble figuring out how I will use it, or implement it. It looks complicated.

Is it really fairly self-explanatory once you have it in your hands?

Is it possible to forego the writing aids? How about use Writing Strands in place of Writing Strands?

Dh is getting me a laptop. Should I get the digital version?

Why am I having such a hard time figuring this out?

Any help would be much appreciated! I need a personal homeschool consultant! (Hey... there's an idea...)

I'm by no means a ToG expert...but, you surely can use any writing program with ToG that you want. You can use their ideas for writing topics if you want, though - they are right in the main guide section of your teacher's manual.

About the digital vs. paper - which would you prefer? I know that I am a paper gal. I don't like to look through cd's and figure out what I need. But, alot of people love that option.

ToG has (or at least used to) had a section on their website that walked you through the ordering process. How I do things, is, I figure out which ToG I want to use,order it, then go onto their website and print off any bookshelf guides for the year for however many kids I have. I then go onto our library website and see how many I books I can get there. Then I begin my search on Amazon. Whatever I cannot get there I get off the bookshelf. Their prices are actually pretty good for hard to find items.

Good luck, just take it bit by bit.

Don't order any books until you have the curriculum in your hands or on your computer if you go digital. It takes me looking at the curriculum, seeing what books I already own, seeing what the library has, seeing how I can combine kids or books before I start buying. Believe me, I ordered way too many books when I did year 1. I was better with year 2 because I waited and this year for 3 is even better.

Christine

:iagree: I agree wait until you have your yearplan in front of you. There are suggestions all through it about picking one book over another if you have several levels. Also, when you decide what year you are doing, ask on the TOG board for favorites. There are definitely some books I would call "must haves" and others I would skip. Look closely at the number of weeks used for each book. I almost always purchase books used for more than 5 weeks. For books used 1-2 weeks I can usually find it at the library or find a substitute. It's harder to substitute the literature selections because the worksheets are written to go along with a specific selection.

Just some thoughts...

HTH,

Leanna

Don't order any books until you have the curriculum in your hands or on your computer if you go digital. It takes me looking at the curriculum, seeing what books I already own, seeing what the library has, seeing how I can combine kids or books before I start buying. Believe me, I ordered way too many books when I did year 1. I was better with year 2 because I waited and this year for 3 is even better.

Christine

I agree totally with Christine!

The first year I used TOG I spent way too much money on books I wanted and didn't use all of them. The next year I spent less and this year I tweaked it even more. Remember that TOG is a huge buffet to select from. This year I looked thru each week we'll be using and narrowed my booklist down to the most necessary. I would also suggest Rainbow Resource as a good place to buy some of you books. Their prices are great.

I agree with the rest, don't choose books till you have your TOG in hand. Then it will be much clearer, though still a little confusing. Please do come ask for help if you are overwhelmed when you get your TOG. It really isn't that difficult just a lot to take in at once. :001_smile:

Heather