Menu

Price gouging makes me so mad sometimes!

I really got to get this off my chest. I thought that I would start making my own yogurt, and decided to get a yogurt maker. I had decided on this one http://www.amazon.com/Salton-YM9-1-Quart-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B00004SUHY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1246532159&sr=8-6

until I noticed the price. This model was discontinued therefore someone thinks they can over charge for it. I emailed the sellers to ask if the price was a mistake, and to my surprise there is no mistake about the price. Considering the manufactures suggested retail price is $27 that is way to steep. Small kitchen appliances are not collectors items to the best of my knowledge. One of the sellers has it listed for $500! This sort of price gouging burns me up. I know people are greedy, but this is not greed it is more like stupidity. I did check ebay and someone has one for $150, and it appears auctions are fetching twice the retail value. I am not willing to pay more than the retail value for an item such as this, if anything it should have a clearance price. I did end up getting another model. I hate to be mean, but I really hope those things sit and collect dust, and that no one buys from the price gougers.

Yes, I know that I don't need one. There are some you just sit the jar on the counter and do nothing. I just wanted to do it the easy way. We spend a bit of money on yogurt, and I want to cut down that expense a little bit. Also I am a bit picky, and don't like most of the yogurt that is on the shelf, and the ones I find that I like are expensive.

Okay, totally OT, but I LOVE my yogurt maker. I'm one of those that hates gadgets. But I figured if I didn't get one, I'd NEVER make yogurt, kwim?

I bought the EuroCuisine one with the glass jars. Honestly? We bought it FOR the glass jars. I hate food touching plastic. Plus it never transfers flavors. I much prefer glass. It was incredibly inexpensive and I can flavor just one cup at a time. They're handy for the kids and they're handy for DH to take to work.

BTW, there is a cheaper model without a timer. You don't really need a timer, but I like it. Kind of a "set it and forget it" philosophy, kwim? I DID buy an extra set of jars and I was very glad I did. You can have a set in the fridge and another set making yogurt.

Seriously, be happy they were overpriced and go buy this one instead! :D

Edited by BlsdMama

MomLovesClassics the crockpot link is just what you want. All I did was add milk let it sit on the counter for 2 1/2 hours on low in a 4qt crock, unplug let sit 3 hrs, add starter and cover with heavy towel and let sit for 8 hrs. That's it. I made it during the day and it was ready and chilled the next morning for breakfast!!

I just made some in my crockpot that came out great! I couldn't believe it. I found this link on HSR, so send it back if you have a crockpot.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

Organic milk $3 a gallon!! WOW!! It is close to $10 a gallon here. I was planning to strain to make the greek style. I also plan to make some buttermilk.

OUCH! $10 a gallon. I don't know when the blog was posted but I pay $ 4.89 a gallon for organic at Brookshires. I also paid $ 3.99 for organic yogurt for a starter. I had powdered starter from the health food store, but wanted to try to follow the recipe the first time to see how it came out. I am going to use it in my protein shake today and on my baked potatoe for dinner tonight!

Okay, totally OT, but I LOVE my yogurt maker. I'm one of those that hates gadgets. But I figured if I didn't get one, I'd NEVER make yogurt, kwim?

I bought the EuroCuisine one with the glass jars. Honestly? We bought it FOR the glass jars. I hate food touching plastic. Plus it never transfers flavors. I much prefer glass. It was incredibly inexpensive and I can flavor just one cup at a time. They're handy for the kids and they're handy for DH to take to work.

BTW, there is a cheaper model without a timer. You don't really need a timer, but I like it. Kind of a "set it and forget it" philosophy, kwim? I DID buy an extra set of jars and I was very glad I did. You can have a set in the fridge and another set making yogurt.

Seriously, be happy they were overpriced and go buy this one instead! :D

That is the one I got with extra jars.:001_smile:

During the height of the recent swine flu scare, hand sanitizer was flying off the shelves. I saw an ad on Amazon from one of their third party vendors offering a case of 6 eight oz bottles of Purell for $178! That made me hopping mad-it was clearly price gouging, which I understand to be illegal during an emergency. The same stuff you could normally buy at Walmart for $4something a bottle.

I emailed Amazon to let them know what was going on. They replied with a lame email telling me to submit my complaint to another division of their company (?like they don't have that little "Forward" icon on their computers?). I wrote back and let them know that if I had to go through my whole explanation and complaint again that it would be sent to the Federal Trade Commission, not another department at Amazon.

And that is what I did. I sent all the information to the FTC and the product offering was removed within a couple of hours. I don't know whether the FTC contacted them or whether Amazon took me seriously the second time, or whether the seller got a sudden case of honesty. But the bottom line was that the gouging stopped.

I doubt this would work with household appliances in a non-emergency situation, but sometimes you can win.:tongue_smilie: