Menu

Two Apologia questions

We will be using Apoligia for science next year. I was thinking of starting with Exploring Creation with Astronomy. Is that the best one to start with for the series? It will be for a 5th grader, 3rd grader and K.

Also, do I need the "science kit" that goes with it? I saw it in "Homesciencetools.com" for $30.95. Seems kind of expensive, but if it has all the stuff, it would be a time saver (I would also be more likely to do the experiments if I already have the stuff and I don't have to search for things).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

We've done Botany and Astronomy (planning to do Swimming Creatures this coming year.) From my limited experience and from what I've read online, Astronomy is somewhat easier than the others. But I don't think it's necessary to start with any one in particular.

I printed out the notebooking pages from Jeannie Fullbright's site and put them in a folder so it was all ready to go when we wanted it. I've never bought a supply kit for the experiments, but then we don't do every single one. I think it worked very well, even for such a wide age spread.

We've pretty much followed the WTM science recommendations but did Botany one semester of our biology year and Astronomy during one semester of our Earth Science year. Next year since DS is taking a co-op class of Apologia Gen. Sci. I thought DD and I might do something a little different. with Swimming Creatures.

I always thought botany was the first book, but I'm not sure if it really matters which order you use them. Most people I know that use these, just use whichever book correlates to what they're studying elsewhere, like a supplement. I think they're great to have around for reference books.

The only thing I can think of that might need an order would be the Zoology books. We did Zoology 2 first because I was borrowing it from a friend who was using Zoology 1 at the time. In the Zoo. 2 book, taxonomy was mentioned several times and my kids had no idea what that was because it was taught in the Zoo. 1 book.

Sorry, I know I didn't answer either one of your questions, LOL. My point was that I think between Astronomy and Botany it doesn't matter in which order you read them :)

:iagree: ... with everyone else. Look at the supply lists in the book to see what you would need (if you plan to do the experiments), then decide on whether or not to get the kit. For me, it's just easier to have it all in one spot, with no extra trips to the store. If it's there, then we'll probably do the experiment. And my kids LOVE doing experiments. Then again, if you have most of the supplies on hand, save money & do the supplies yourself :)

We will be using Apoligia for science next year. I was thinking of starting with Exploring Creation with Astronomy. Is that the best one to start with for the series? It will be for a 5th grader, 3rd grader and K.

Also, do I need the "science kit" that goes with it? I saw it in "Homesciencetools.com" for $30.95. Seems kind of expensive, but if it has all the stuff, it would be a time saver (I would also be more likely to do the experiments if I already have the stuff and I don't have to search for things).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

That was the first Apologia book we used, but not because it was the best one to use first. My dc wanted to do astronomy so we did. I would ask your dc which one they looked interested in. They are at the grades where they can all be grouped together with Apologia. I did buy the kit for astronomy and it was priceless to me. It saved me many trips to the store that probably wouldn't have happened just because of life. We did just about every experiment in the book because we had the kit. My dc still remember a lot about that year and that was almost 2 years ago. That was their first time to really be exposed for a full year to astronomy as well.

We started with Astronomy and I am so glad we did. It is much shorter than the Zoology books so it eased us into the program nicely. Botany would also be a good choice since it is shorter in length. The kids transitioned into Land Animals with no problem the second year. However, I think it may have overwhelmed them if we had started with it.

We have never bought the science supply kits. However, it may not be a bad idea. It is so frustrating to not be able to do an experiment or activiy because you are lacking the supplies. I think I will seriously consider buying a kit this year.

My kids did Botany first, then Astronomy. They are the same level, so only interest matters. Zoology is this year. The kit is a lot of money for not a lot of stuff, but sometimes it's worth getting just to have that ONE item that is hard to find.

I did the Astronomy book first and my children really enjoyed it. I did not buy the kit and I don't remember having a hard time finding supplies. If you have the book look at the list and see if the items would be easy to collect and cheaper if you pick them up. We did Swimming Creatures next and that book was more in depth but wonderful also. We use Live and Learn's products to go along with the Apologia books.